Gates Pond

Gates Pond is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Berlin, Massachusetts that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Upon arriving to Gates pond for the first time with my wife, our 4 year old, and our 1 year old, as we were setting up for the walk in the parking lot, a couple with a dog passed us heading towards the entrance. Once they reached the gate they stopped to take off the dogs leash. The dog immediately ran towards us and tackled my 4 year old daughter. I had to pull the dog off my daughter not knowing if the dog bit my daughter on the face or not. Very scary moment for me, my daughter didn’t know how to react other than tears because she didn’t know what just happened. The owners of the dog seemed more insulted that I touched their dog than anything else and did not take responsibility to why they even took the dogs leash off in the first place. After collecting ourselves together, no one was injured, my daughter was now afraid of dogs for the moment, we decided to continue on so that we don’t get hung up on some one else’s mistake. Not a good way to start a relaxing walk around a pond but whatever.

On the walk we couldn’t help but take notice that half the walkers on the path had dogs. More than half of the dogs were not leashed. Some unleashed dogs were small and posed no threat to anything, however there were 4 dogs that were large without leashes and posed a threat to even a full grown man like myself. Owners without leashes were sometimes close by (within feet from there dogs) while others were to so far we didn’t see the owners on the path only the dog.

There is a sign posted at the front gate to leash your dogs. Some owners did use leashes and were polite and respectful, while others (more than half of what we noticed this Sunday June 10 2018) treat the path as their own private property ignoring the posted rules of the trail.

I want to add that there were owners that were very respectful and friendly. One man let my daughter pet his dog, which we liked because she experienced what dog ownership with obedience and respect looked like.

Sadly we will not be returning any time soon even though the pond is beautiful and close by to our home. To many unleashed dogs.

Jeremy
Bolton, Ma

Lots of dog walkers here. So be prepared to meet some nice dogs and the folks with them. Overall a nice walk. There are some side trails worth exploring. If you are a hiker there are better options nearby such as Pisgah. If you are a birder or photographer there are woodpeckers, cranes, ducks, and occasional loon for you amusement.

Beautiful trail and water view.

Great for Dogs. Took my dog and she met a lot of dogs along the way

Very enjoyable (about 1 hour) walk around the pond. Wide flat trail. We saw friendly people and dogs every few minutes and had plenty of time for private conversations. I will walk this trail again.

This may as well be a dog park. Even though there are trash barrels provided, the majority of dog-walkers still do not pick up after their dogs. Or they do but then leave the bag of poop on the trail...

I don't mind well trained dogs running off leash but the entrance clearly states dogs *must* be leashed and few listen. Everyone seems to think their dog is a brilliant exception to the rules yet maintain little or no control of their pup.

Be prepared to be jumped on and sniffed/followed to the point that it's annoying. You won't get to see much of the beautiful pond views or look for barred owls; you'll be too busy looking out where you step. Don't bother trying to run or bike here. This used to be a great place to get some daily fresh air & exercise but a few irresponsible/inconsiderate users have ruined it for the rest.

Very nice. Done have not picked up after their pets. Otherwise, easy and very pleasant.

This was a pretty walk, not too strenuous. Pretty pond, wildlife, tons of Pumpkinseed Sunfish. I passed by 8 dogs and owners and not one was leashed except my own dog.

Love walking this loop and the few small hills. Very disappointed with animal owners for leaving pet waste, both dog and horse. Seems to be getting worse as the summer progresses No excuse for this. Multiple containers located along trail and signs are posted throughout the trail. Why can't people be responsible?

Monday, May 29, 2017

Great place to walk. Pretty easy with some mildly inclined stretches. Nearly 100% of the walk has water views. Unfortunately fair amount of dog waste is not picked up by owners which detracts from beauty if the area especially closer to the parking area. Fairly popular location.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Love this place and so does my dog!!!

Monday, March 06, 2017

This was a great trail! It loops around the pond and it's a beautiful spot! I got a decent exercise from the 2+ miles and a few hills! Great place to walk your dog in the metro west area! :)

Sunday, February 26, 2017

very scenic and fairly easy walk. can get a tad busy.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Sunday, January 08, 2017

It has a few small hills, wonderful views of the lake and some side trails. The dogs had a blast romping in the snow and even made a friend we hiked around the whole loop with. All the dogs we came across were off leash so if your dog doesn't do well in that situation, I wouldn't recommend it. We hiked around in the fresh snow which made it a little more strenuous. Lots of other folks had cramp ons, snow shoes and cross county skis. 2.4 miles to the tee--a perfect little outing when short on time, daylight or energy--we all got in the right amount of work out.

Sunday, January 08, 2017

Nice loop around a pond. Easy terrain makes it great for running though not as interesting if you're looking for a hike. Dog friendly with lax leash regulations. Garbage cans out for folks to throw out their dog doo though I wish people made better use of them.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Beautiful trail, easy and peaceful. Unfortunately, too many unleashed dogs.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

This is a good walk. Nice and open as well as shaded. Very peaceful. We have a dog and liked that there were trash barrels located around for easy disposal.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

like it a lot. it's pretty much all shaded but to much animal poop

Saturday, March 26, 2016

A relaxing hike and peaceful surrounding.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

It was an alright path, the beginning kind of has a lot of dog doo doo but it seems popular

Monday, March 14, 2016

It was nice. Brought a 4 year old and a 6 year old and it wasn't too far for either of them.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Nice, quiet and clean. 2.5 mile loop

Sunday, February 28, 2016

No reason not to visit.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

This is a really nice, easy loop with beautiful pond views throughout.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Beautiful trail! It helped that the weather was perfect ~ no bugs! I can't wait to walk this one again.

Monday, January 06, 2014

Pretty place for a daily walk or run. There are 2 trails off of the main loop that are less traveled as well as a massive boulder hidden away in the forest know as King Philips Rock. During the winter, the main loop is often plowed but when it's not, this is a great place to snowshoe or x-country ski.