East Mountain via Appalachian Trail

East Mountain via Appalachian Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Great Barrington, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,942 feet Route Type: Out & Back

World’s okayest walk through the woods.

10.2.19. Nice, woodsy hike. Definitely agree with the hard designation, as there is plenty of climbing in both directions. Two things to look out for: the vistas looking west/south west after about a mile into the hike, and at about the 4 mile mark, there is a spectacular canyon. My stats as a guide if you’d like to try this: Distance: 10.1 miles (I went a little further after crossing New Marlborough Rd) Elevation Gain: 2,093 feet Moving Time: 4:10:43

We did this as part of a multi-day backpacking trip and kept going this day on to the North Wilcox Shelter. The trail is well marked, a very pleasant forest hike. We had rainy, foggy weather the day we did it, so no views. There's a fair amount of up and down, but none of the climbs were very steep, no scrambling-- this is a solid moderate hike.

Only did the trail one way, totaling 4.5 miles. Many large rocks, and some are extremely slippery. Trail markers are occasionally hard to see, and it’s fairly easy to get off trail. Wear hiking boots, start early in the day if you want to do the full trail.

Fri Nov 09 2018

My husband and I did this trail on a beautiful, late autumn day with most of the leaves on the ground. It was extremely beautiful BUT slippery because of the leaves on the ground. Thick layers of leaves reduced traction (we had good hiking boots) and made footings sometimes dangerously slippery in sharp declines/inclines. The leaves filled in crevices so they made it hard to see if you were putting your foot down into a hole. The vistas as you climbed upwards were spectacular. We would consider this hike as offering a superior cardiovascular and gluteal workout. It is rated as a HARD hike and we would agree that this is true for most hikers. The trail was generally well marked, but the paint has become camouflaged on some trees. We would do this hike again BUT not in November when the leaves are making it somewhat treacherous.

Sat Sep 29 2018

Nice hike! I only did about half of this trek (4 miles total), had two nice views with large rocks to sit on. Took my dog and she liked it as well, there were a few cold streams for her to lay in. Only saw one other couple with a dog, surprised because it was such a nice day. Lots of rocks and ruts so need to be aware of your footing, but I didn't find this hike too difficult. I know it is classified as hard but I think that is a stretch.

Tue Jan 17 2012

Great rock climbing formations to practice on. Would like to hike again in the spring.

recorded Recording - Jun 15, 2:10 PM