Dunbar Brook Trail

Dunbar Brook Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Adams, Massachusetts that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

I did my first solo overnight backpacking at the Dunbar Brook shelter. I choose a water side tent site down the bank from the shelter. Access to a crystal clear, refreshingly cool pool was 30 feet from my tent. there was a fire ring and some left over firewood. The hiking was OK. The trails are in tough condition. A footbridge that use to allow you to pass from the trail head to the Dunbar Brook path has been washed away. I had to take off my boots and wade across. It was about 2.5 ft at the deepest point in the wade. A regular visitor informed me that Hurricane Irene did a lot of trail damage. There were a lot of gnats and mosquitoes. Off was a God send. My goal was backpacking and overnight camping solo, so that was a success. The trails were not interesting enough to entice me to drive 3 hours again. If I lived closer I might give it more attention.