Dogtown Loop Trail to Briar Swamp

Dogtown Loop Trail to Briar Swamp is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gloucester, Massachusetts that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is such a diverse trail. We did a total of 7.4 miles. The trails are marked but can be difficult to follow so make sure you use the All Trails app. We saw at least a half a dozen ribbon snakes, dozens of toads, squirrels and chipmunks along the way. We really enjoyed this because one moment you're surrounded by a pine forest then quickly switches to birch and becomes a cooler darker swamp setting. Lots of boulders and easy elevation. We looked up the history of dogtown after our hike not realizing what we were walking through the whole time. There were moments towards the end of the hike around a field of boulders when we felt like we were being watched and saw a large branch move but nothing was there. If you're into creepy trails and hauntings this is definitely a trail for you. I'm not trying to scare anyone. Embrace it! One of my favorite hikes

Got really lost. Wandered in woods for hours. Send help!

The dog town Loop was very difficult to follow. At the entrance to the park there were maps available. These were terrible. Luckily we had this Ap, otherwise we would not have been able to follow the trails because of the poor map and poor trail markers.
The trail I would rate as the easy side of moderate.

Awesome! Loved the rocks!

We did the orange trail from Dogtown Square to Raccoon Ledge and then around Babson Boulder. ~4 miles. Very buggy so bring the bug spray, have never seen so many caterpillars!

Trails markings can be confusing. Maps are available at trailhead parking area.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

I grew up here! Wide trails, not too busy but busy enough that you're never really alone, lots to see and so many trail options!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Easy walk and numerous trails, with many different enterance points. Very nice walk in spring or fall. During the summer months there is lots of folliage and insects.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

I decided to follow the hiker's map and it was a very bad idea. Most of the time I was searching for the trail and a 5.3 mile "loop" turned into an 8 mile fiasco with a dangerous section walking along the railroad track and no clear trail near it. Dogtown itself is interesting but the trails really do stop all the time at which point you have to cut through some hairy parts of the woods.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Good moderate trail! Doggie loved it!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

BE CAREFUL. The app let me to a high speed train rail. Make sure to get a trail map along with app.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Spent 3 hours hiking about 6 miles throughout many paths, we followed the orange trail. Path was decently marked, some parts a little bit overgrown and we got turned around for a quick minute, but the trail was fun and peaceful. There's many more hours of exploration in these woods. This app was super useful in ensuring we were headed in the right direction, I felt more comfortable hiking in a new area with this app turned on.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Interesting area pretty trails but some areas close to entrances a bit littered. Could use a face lift.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Fun for historical exploring!

Monday, March 07, 2016

Good track.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Great place. Not to hard for the kiddos. Need to know where the rock that has MOTHER written on it though! Mother's Day present is depending on it!!!

Monday, November 02, 2015

Hike here daily. No trail markers. But miles and miles to explore!

Monday, September 07, 2015

Had a great time hiking here with my pup. We hiked for nearly 3 hours and only saw one other person. It was perfect!

Monday, June 29, 2015

Fun hike w/the dogs. All kinds of side trails criss-crossing everywhere. First time there, but will definitely go back. Didn't see the carved boulders on the trails I did, but will try a different entrance and venture out into side trails next time out. Trees are marked w/colored spray paint to mark the trails. I thought it was clear, but the map wasn't great. Check for ticks - dogs came out w/passengers.

Monday, May 05, 2014

This was a lovely hike with lots of nice surprises a long the way. Pretty scenery, loved the worded boulders, and lots to see. It was really difficult finding the entrance to the trails though, and the map wasn't entirely helpful. The trails start after the dumping ground site. Overall, glad we made the trip. A definite must see!