Deer Hill Trail

Deer Hill Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lanesboro, Massachusetts that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Descend Deer Hill Trail into the "heart of Greylock" to beautiful waterfalls and loop back.

Beautiful but difficult!! Definitely go in by the camp parking lot to start!!

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Monday, September 07, 2015

The Deer Hill Trail is a beautiful Trail but a very steep downhill when approaching from the campground. I recommend if doing the loop approach it from the Campground parking lot trail. The downhill is moderate with the uphill by the falls while strenuous less challenging. It is still very strenuous but much easier to hike. I would never attempt the campground downhil if the rocks are wet. I have hiked it 3-4 times.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I want to give this trail more stars because it was an exciting adventure and great workout, but I also want to warn others that this trail is extremely challenging and treacherous. We got on the trail via the Campground Trail off of Sperry Rd. Soon after getting onto Deer Hill, there was a decline that started off very doable and got very steep about 1/2 mile from the falls. Many of the steps built into the trail with logs were eroded so parts were slippery. From the map, it appeared to continue in a loop from the falls back up to Sperry Rd but we couldn't make out where, if anywhere, there was a passable pathway on the steep incline. So we turned around and hiked back up the way we came which resulted in a total hike that nearly twice as long as we expected. The steep incline back was exhausting.

Monday, June 08, 2015

Extremely treacherous going downhill, steep incline with slippery rocks, then fallen trees blocking view of falls

Thursday, September 05, 2013

Perhaps I should not have done this trail after Stony Ledge and Roaring Brook or in the midle of a tthunderstorm! This trail is a workout. Do not be mistaken by the mileage into believing it'll be a walk in the woods. It descends steeply over some terrain that is rocky and eroded in spots. The falls are pretty, better than Money Brook, and when the trail reaches its end of descent there is a beautiful stream with a bridge crossing to the other side. Steep incline back up, past the Deer Hill Trail Shelter (which if you want some primitive camping would be a beautiful spot) and hits the junction of the Campground Trail.

Thursday, July 12, 2012