Crystal Springs and Whip Hill Road Loop

Crystal Springs and Whip Hill Road Loop is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Stoneham, Massachusetts that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 216 feet Route Type: Loop

***Regarding the Pond Rd entrance/environs. Can't speak to the rest of the trail. I'd never been to the Pond Rd entrance so I thought I'd give it a try. Huge mistake. Area appears to be a well-cultivated habitat for broken glass and poison ivy. Truly a heart-healthy trail because between running away from the bugs and swatting bugs away from your face you will get a full-body workout (and this was after soaking myself in bug spray). When I found a path out of the woods I took it and ran back to my car via surface roads. So. Possibly a one-off bad day, I'll try again when it's colder.

A nice short walk without too many places to scramble either up or down. Fairly close to the road. We were lucky enough to see three deer crossing our track before disappearing into the woods.

Saturday, September 01, 2018