Charley's Loop Trail

Charley's Loop Trail is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 180 feet Route Type: Loop

As of April 15, 2019, the Chasm Trail is closed due to slippery snow and ice conditions until further notice. Please refer to the park page for updates. A unique natural landmark, Purgatory Chasm runs for a quarter of a mile between granite walls rising as high as 70 feet. Popular with picnickers and rock-climbers alike, the Chasm is believed to have its origin in the sudden release of dammed-up glacial meltwater near the end of the last Ice Age, approximately 14,000 years ago. Trails lead to a wide variety of rock formations, with such romantic names as The Corn Crib, The Coffin, The Pulpit, Lovers' Leap and Fat Man's Misery.

Great trail. Very easy. Very busy.

The kids (8 and 6) and I headed out early and got to the park as it was opening. There’s a convenient center with bathrooms, a playground area, and a bunch of shaded picnic tables off to the right of the parking lot that made for great after-hike fun. The trail itself was great, lots of fun rock scrambling, and almost completely shaded, nice on a hot day. You get the sense that you’re really in a crack in the earth! It was nice too because some of the rocks posed a challenge for the kids, a little adventure is always good. Definitely check out “Fat Man’s Misery” (it’s marked on the latter half of the loop. Once off trail, there was a “pop-up” science class being taught by a DCR ranger on identifying animals by their skulls, my kids ate it up! I’d recommend getting there as the lark opens though, it got crowded fast!

First off, Purgatory Chasms is My Favorite Place to Be with Nature

Awesome trails good work out I captured amazing photos here !

Good Easy Hike with a lot of options to enjoy

Excellent workout!

Fantastic fun! Harrowing adventure, not for the super young ones with a lot of scrambling up and down boulders and sketchy drop offs. Definitely worth it!

closed

quick walk

First time visiting. Chasm was closed because of ice, but great views of it and great trail. We did Charlie’s loop trail, but a few other trails that connect which can extend your loop. Well maintained and marked trails. Def worth the visit.

You’ve heard the expression it’s a cold day in hell, well today it’s a cold day in purgatory. It was a great hike. This place is beautiful year round. Great hikes for all skill levels.

too bad the chasm was closed but still explored the area which was beautiful..some nice views too.

rock climbing

Okay, so I'm still a beginner hiker...this was hard! I really enjoyed myself, don't get me wrong, but yikes! There's a lot of climbing boulders, up and down. Looks easier for kids and people in great shape...but great exercise!

So much fun!

Beautiful hike and great for kids and families.

Had my 2 year old on my kelty backpack during the hike. It was gorgeous but I wouldn't recommend doing it since the rocks you had to go over were quick large.

trail was clean and well maintained other than others not cleaning up after their dogs!!! REALLY PEOPLE!!!! Trail was a moderate hike lots of rough areas to trip on. Took our 2 Irish wolfhound crosses with us and they were very tired after yellow trail with some side drifting views. I will definitely hike there with them again.

Fun hike through the chasm. The rest of the trails were adaquete. It was a bummer to pay $10 for parking though since all trails were kind of short. But as far as $10 go, at least it goes to a deserving place. It’s easy to swerve in and out of the yellow and blue trails and other unmarked trails if you choose. It’s all pretty flat except the chasm. I drove an hour and a half, if you live farther maybe choose another, closer trail.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

This trail was a challenge but I loved it! Took my best friend with me and we had so much fun! I just love climbing rocks and walking in trails!