Learn more

Burnt Swamp Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wrentham, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 196 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that this area is surrounded by private property, and the trails are not marked well. Please be respectful and do not enter private lands. A former dairy farm taken by the town to be used as Conservation Land, Birchwold is nearby the more famous Joe's Rock in Wrentham, MA and is Popular with Birders, walkers, And Eagle Scout Projects.

private property

Nice trail but the carriage roads are on private property. Trails are not well marked

Lovely trail but not clearly marked and easy to (accidentally) enter private property

Some private property

flooded

Good to get out. Trail not well marked. Lots of rocks and roots.

Great place if you feel like becoming lost. There are a few trail markers at the start: to and from the beginning. Then, none. Not one throughout the area. We saw what we thought was a marker, but it was on a tree in the middle of a copse. No trail nearby. What trails there are are nice and wide, Very thankful for All Trails or we would still be lost. Avoid it unless you have a well-powered phone with this app.

icy
private property

Needed the trail map to navigate. An easy hike, but the trail leads you into private property which is a bit confusing.

Went mid January. Parking lot with easy access to trails. It is well maintained and decently marked. Are many connecting trails so use map to make sure you know what your connecting to and can make it a loop. Stopped in at RI Mass marker and a few geocaches out there. Better part of hike is after you cross electric lines. Enjoy.

Great trails through quiet woods and fields. Use the app to figure out where you are since trail markings are sporadic.

I took my dog for a walk here this evening and loved it. I got a bit lost and went off to different trails from what I originally intended to do. With that being said, very scenic paths and mostly well maintained. There were some horse poo on the trails here and there. it was somewhat buggy, but that is expected of time and the area. I would recommend this!

Only because zero stars is not an option. Poorly marked short bits of trails designed by a Fox with its tail ablaze

private property

Great light walking trails but beware of the private property that limits this trail system out on the green trails. Good parking and trails are well maintained.

recorded Burnt Swamp Trail

Mon Dec 31 2018

First time here but I will come back again. Trails are not well marked so I was grateful for the all trails app on my phone. Quiet and not busy perfect for reflection.

Sun Apr 01 2018

Enjoyable hiking area with my dog.

Sun Sep 10 2017

Great walk and hike. Tough navigating as the trails are not marked. Was still fun and plan to do it again! We went at dusk and we only saw 2 other people. Nice and peaceful!

Sun Jul 30 2017

As far as local suburban hikes go, this one is really fun. I drive by it every day and I always stop and hike if I have time. Multiple paths and a changing scenery. Don't bother with the posted trail maps, they're useless. Have a good sense of direction and go for it. When you reach what you think is the end at the power lines, you're only halfway in. Paths continue on the other side. It's a bit easier to get lost at this point and some of the paths lead onto private property. Otherwise, exelent little spot for hikers on the go.

Sun Apr 02 2017

i never knew this place had so much to offer, my dog and i had a blast exploring the trails, once we got past the field we did not see one person on the trail we took and it was great and she got to run off her leash. we ended up finding a little cliff too with a small brook at the bottom, it was a relaxing spot to take a break. will definitely be going back.

Sun May 03 2015

Hiked here this morning, nice trails but very short. Good for dog walking.

Sun Apr 20 2014

This is about an 80 acre or so property located across the street from Joe's Rock in Wrentham, MA. There are 2 color coded trails (orange and green). The orange is a shorter trail that keeps you closer to the parking lot, the green brings you further out. Unfortunately, it is easy to get confused because the signage is either missing or confusing. However, it is a great place for a quick walk/hike. I look forward to exploring more of the green trails and taking advantage of a small picnic area towards the back of pasture.

Sat Mar 22 2014

Joe's Rock: Great for a quick hike. Very nice view of the nearby pond and scenery. It can get busy fairly quickly, however, it is so short most people move along.

recorded Burnt Swamp Trail