Burlington Landlocked Forest Trail

Burlington Landlocked Forest Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lexington, Massachusetts that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

46 Turning Mill Rd, Lexington, MA 02420 42.481397, -71.233028 Look for a dirt parking lot with a wooden information kiosk. Directions: http://www.landlockedforest.com/parking.shtml Friends of the Landlocked Forest

This is a very large trail system. Although landlocked, you really do feel like you are deep in the forest (despite hearing the highway traffic in some areas). Hikers do need to take caution, as these trails are primarily used for mountain biking. I actually kept one headphone out so that I could hear anyone coming up behind me so I could step aside. I covered about 3-4 miles, and probably passed 8-10 bikers. Overall, a great, well marked trail with a lot of cool boardwalks, and trail variation. Can get buggy!

Friday, October 14, 2016

Went for run here, many options for trails. Mostly wooded once your off power lines, just get your bearings before heading in because many trails divide again and again. Used yellow trail mostly, great run but had to resort to trail map near end to get back because not marked at every fork. Great spot to enjoy!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

I spend a lot of time on these trails. Good variety of terrain so close to Boston. Also a good amount of wildlife, including deer, foxes and owls.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Lots of ticks

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

I've hiked these trails a few times but this was my first MTB ride here. Not quite the experience I was looking for this time around (wider, flatter trails), but I had fun nonetheless. Trails are very narrow at times, almost always rocky with lots of roots. Despite many boardwalks and bridges I managed to find some mud, even though it hasn't rained in days. The Milk Crate trail was fantastic, with numerous switchbacks and drops - highly recommended if you're intermediate/advanced.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A fun mountain biking trail.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

My favorite mountain biking spot in the area! Lots of variety and intermediate level trails. Rocky, Rooty trails with lots of swooping downhill single track and very well maintained. Some technical stuff has been built if you can find it. Also wood planks and raised sections around.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Nice place to walk. Second growth forest with very well maintained trails. Very clean but a little close to the highway.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Full of ticks. I pulled over a dozen dog ticks off our papillon. The East side was pleasant enough, the West very noisy due to the highway. There were many mountain bicyclists as well so we found ourselves stepping aside rather often.

Monday, January 12, 2015

What a cool place, large enough with lots of loops to get lost in for a couple hours - if you're on foot, probably the same if you're mountain biking - and you should. The trails are very well maintained with many boardwalks and clear markers. Saw fresh tire marks in the snow, so people bike it even in 20F. Gets loud if you're closer to the highway, but absolutely tranquil if you're on the western side. Definitely adding to my list of winter hikes.