Buffumville Lake Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(196)
Charlton, Massachusetts

Buffumville Lake Loop is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Charlton, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 196 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

beach

Almost 500 acres of land comprise the natural environment at Buffumville Lake. Forms of recreation include fishing, hunting, seven miles of multi-use trails, and group picnic shelters. The lake is also popular for canoeing, kayaking and primitive boat-in camping. Buffumville Lake is a 200-acre (0.81 km2), 5.2-billion-US-gallon (20,000,000 m3) capacity United States Army Corps of Engineers flood control lake project located in Charlton, Massachusetts. The lake and surrounding grounds are open to the public for hiking, boating, fishing, and hunting. A 27-hole frisbee golf course is located next to the lake. Buffumville Lake is managed as a unit with the nearby Hodges Village Dam flood control project.

Awesome hike with great views!

Great trail system, some sections of roots/rocks for more technical running, but others of flatter/easy to balance it out.

This trail was great. I started the recording a bit late so it was likely closer to about 7.2 miles. I had my dog with me so on your own could be done in 2.5 hours. The instructions on where to park lead you to a park that is currently closed but you can park across the street. No bugs. Lovely grass space to sit and enjoy the lake. Not crowded and easy to social distance. A few places crossing the brook were flooded so had to get creative. Can follow either blue or red and white trails (they are basically the same). You could also easily cut this in half either way by only doing the top or bottom sections of the loop. Highly recommend!

Absolutely love this trail. Well marked, great variety of terrain, and great scenery. Many small water crossings (some with established bridging, some left for interpretation). Lots of fun and a great bit of exercise!

Blue trail

Very pretty trail. Definitely easy to follow trails.

great trail. totally worth it and full of nice views! we parked along the road just past the beach parking and made our way counter clock wise around. some parts were a bit mushy and the trail was kinda inexistent on part of the southern point of the trail but totally worth it and would come back here again. not buggy at all and the grass field right on the dam is a nice spot to relax before finishing the entire loop.

More of a walker than hiker so I found the trail challenging. Very muddy. Have to navigate water terrain by walking over roots and down tree limbs. Still beautiful scenery and the trail is very well marked.

This was a beautiful trail and it was very well marked. Part of it goes along the disc golf trail at Buffumville. Wonderful loop.

recorded Buffumville Lake Loop

Well marked. Pretty much all of it is along the water. Lots of cool little bridges to go over.

A very enjoyable hike. My three grandsons enjoyed crossing the streams and walking across logs. The northern section is easy. The southern section a little more challenging.

Excellent trail which is well marked with blue blazes. There are sections which require rock hopping over water ways or are muddy, but expected this time of year (Spring). Foot bridges are there for the parts that require it most. There are sections that are at the waters edge and require you to walk between roots, so I don’t recommend it for young children who could easily tumble into the lake (possibly best for 7 yrs older). Will visit it again. There is a beach area and places to picnic if you decide to make a day of it.

Was a beautiful hike! Lots of nature, water and trails.. Trails where very well market. We loved this place

great area. lots of trails and beautiful spot! dog friendly

that was amazinggggg

Nice walk around the lake. It’s very well marked. It’s only moderate because it’s over 6miles. There’s not much elevation change. Probably a good trail for those trail runners. Other than the noise from the gravel pit it was a pretty relaxing hike.

Trails are not well marked, you definitely want to go in with a full battery! A lot of options for terrain and level of difficulty.

I’ve hiked this trail several times over the last few months. There are some area that were very overgrown but they are being cleared. It is a lovely hike except for the mining work on the west side but it’s a private business. There are bugs but it is the woods so should be expected. I have seen a red fox, beavers and a woodchuck! It would be so nice if some people took their trash out with them. It is a carry in carry out trail/park. Also dogs are required to be on a leash at all times on the trail. I was charged and jumped on recently. I noticed a review concerning dirt bikes on the trail. They are there illegally. There are no dirt bike trails on Buffumville. Take a picture and provide it to the rangers or police.

Very clearly marked trail! North loop much prettier than south. Only thing moderately difficult is all the tree roots, otherwise fairly easy hike.

Nice, long moderate loop well maintained and well marked for the most part. The 'northern' portion of the loop is about 3 miles and provided some amazing scenery and photographs. August blooms were simply stunning. To reach the other part of the loop, you have to travel on the road a bit before crossing to reach the opposite trailhead. The 'southern' portion of the loop was significantly longer and some spots were a tad confusing. (We ended up overshooting the trail, so our distance on this half was about 5 miles.) It was also a very nice trail, but there were some downed trees and one steep spot that has collapsed at the water's edge. One odd thing, was that we went on a weekday and part of this path runs right near some kind of industrial mine. The mine was active and extremely noisy and the beeping of trucks' backup alarms kept this from being the 'getaway' we usually look for. All in all though, this was a nice morning hike through some gorgeous country...we will definitely go again.

Fri Apr 19 2019

nice loop around a lake.

Sun Oct 14 2018

The fall colors are out in full force right now, and yet I only ran into one person on this entire hike (aside from people hanging out at the docks). It was stunning. I highly recommend this trail when the leaves are changing.

Sun Jul 22 2018

Best place on this planet

Tue Jun 19 2018

Good nature walking spot, especially in the summer since it's close to water nearly the entire time. Many people go swimming, fishing, and boating here but not many do the hike. To do the full 6 mile loop, you need to cross the road to get to the other half of the loop. There is a short distance of walking on the road. We followed the blue blazes which were mostly well marked except for a couple turns. If you end up in someone's backyard, go back and take the left at the fork instead. Not too buggy but got bitten a couple of times. Overall quite enjoyable!

Sun May 27 2018

Beautiful scenery on this hike!! I stopped many times to take it all in. Today, I did the southern loop, about 4.5 mi. Took me about 2h to complete. Cold, raw day, but the trail kept me warm with the changes in elevation and terrain. Most of the trail was well-marked and well-maintained, but some parts were confusing to find my way and somewhat overgrown. I'm excited to try the northern loop soon!! can't wait to go back in better weather!

Thu Oct 05 2017

Not a terribly well maintained trail. At times, it overlaps with the mountain biking trail which can get sort of dangerous since if you're not expecting them, they can come up on you quickly. That being said, I can't imagine much of the trail is reasonable for biking and I saw at least one guy who got pitched into the lake and several times where a group had to walk their bikes. Where the trail switches back at the furthest point, the terrain is impassable. A tree has uprooted and brought with it the only dry area across the river. We had to go much further up the trail to actually cross. About 3/4 of the way through the loop, we had to pass through an extremely overgrown area. The trail was almost invisible due to encroaching vines and bushes which flanked both sides. The last leg, if you choose to not cross the road and do the northern portion, is a loud and not very scenic walk next to the road. Just something to be aware of. Overall, pretty nice. The dam adds a level of interest but I wish they maintained the few sections mentioned above a bit better.

Sun Sep 17 2017

This was a beautiful hike. It was a little confusing to find the beginning of the trail so I had to use my phone for a bit to make sure I was on the right path. I got there later than I usually do, around 10. There were a lot of people there with boats and some people playing disc golf. Once I got about 20 minutes in on my hike I only saw a few people for the rest of the hike. The trail was great. There were a few spots of mud and I almost always had a view of the lake. The trail markers were very easy to follow and I think there is a Concord grape tree growing on the path as well, I'm not entirely sure though. I'll be back on this trail for sure!