Buffumville Lake Loop

Buffumville Lake Loop is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Charlton, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

beach

Almost 500 acres of land comprise the natural environment at Buffumville Lake. Forms of recreation include fishing, hunting, seven miles of multi-use trails, and group picnic shelters. The lake is also popular for canoeing, kayaking and primitive boat-in camping. Buffumville Lake is a 200-acre (0.81 km2), 5.2-billion-US-gallon (20,000,000 m3) capacity United States Army Corps of Engineers flood control lake project located in Charlton, Massachusetts. The lake and surrounding grounds are open to the public for hiking, boating, fishing, and hunting. A 27-hole frisbee golf course is located next to the lake. Buffumville Lake is managed as a unit with the nearby Hodges Village Dam flood control project.

Not a terribly well maintained trail. At times, it overlaps with the mountain biking trail which can get sort of dangerous since if you're not expecting them, they can come up on you quickly. That being said, I can't imagine much of the trail is reasonable for biking and I saw at least one guy who got pitched into the lake and several times where a group had to walk their bikes.

Where the trail switches back at the furthest point, the terrain is impassable. A tree has uprooted and brought with it the only dry area across the river. We had to go much further up the trail to actually cross.

About 3/4 of the way through the loop, we had to pass through an extremely overgrown area. The trail was almost invisible due to encroaching vines and bushes which flanked both sides. The last leg, if you choose to not cross the road and do the northern portion, is a loud and not very scenic walk next to the road. Just something to be aware of.

Overall, pretty nice. The dam adds a level of interest but I wish they maintained the few sections mentioned above a bit better.

This was a beautiful hike. It was a little confusing to find the beginning of the trail so I had to use my phone for a bit to make sure I was on the right path. I got there later than I usually do, around 10. There were a lot of people there with boats and some people playing disc golf. Once I got about 20 minutes in on my hike I only saw a few people for the rest of the hike. The trail was great. There were a few spots of mud and I almost always had a view of the lake. The trail markers were very easy to follow and I think there is a Concord grape tree growing on the path as well, I'm not entirely sure though. I'll be back on this trail for sure!

Only did 4 miles today with my 3 year old but it was a nice section of trail. There was some nice elevation to start which I enjoyed. Hope to do the entire 7.2 soon.

beautiful views some areas of the trail are a little hard follow

Fun trail, with a number of water crossings. Would be better with hiking poles. I ended up a little wet/muddy.

not at all dog friendly the back side of trail is washed out and many trees down poor trail marks tons of poison ivy everywhere

Lots of outside activities even frisbee golf. Love that my dog doesn't need a leash. Beach gets busy in summer but if you walk around pond there is a cool bridge to dip your feet from. Also it hosts beavers at one side of lake and they are usually not shy

Lived on this trail, hour loop on the north side at a good clip, not flat, lots of roots!

Saturday, October 08, 2016