Bruce Freeman Rail Trail

Bruce Freeman Rail Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Westford, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

one of my favorites. only issue is parking. we usually only find parking midway so this makes covering the trail end to end a bit challenging but otherwise a great bet. especially good for families. all paved so not really a hike.

Lots of bikes. All are considerate.

Mostly flat and strait, all pavement for about 5 miles. There are some road crossings where you have to stop, but there are also long stretches of trail where we were flying along in high gear.

rails trails

I love this trail because it is local to me! It's an easy ride, mostly flat, and paved, something I can do when I don't have a lot of time and I want a safe and easy bike ride. The road crossing in Chelmsford Center is the most unpleasant part of the trip.

This particular section of the trail took more than 20 years to complete. I am inspired by the dedication of the trail planners and developers. This section of trail will eventually connect to a much longer rail trail. I hope the extensions don't take another 20 years to complete.

The trails are well used by walkers and bikers. There are lots of families and kids but it has never felt crowded to me. My favorite section is the longer section past Chelmsford Center. The Lowell to Chelmsford section feels much more urban. It runs underneath major highways and behind a couple of shopping centers.