Bray Lake Loop Trail

Bray Lake Loop Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Holyoke, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

One of the most beautiful places one can hike. The trails can be easy to moderate, rocky and muddy at times even some ice if you're out in late fall. The hike up the the trails is definitely worth the beautiful views. Mt. Tom boasts an unparalleled view of the Connecticut Valley north and south, the Berkshire mountains to the west and the Pelham hills to the east. This 2,082 acre facility offers 20 miles of hiking and walking trails; picnicking; canoeing and fishing on Lake Bray; and cross country skiing and ice skating in the winter. Mt. Tom also offers a children's play area.

Very pretty. I didn't take the whole trial because it was overgrown w/ long grass beyond the water in places, but if you had long pants, it would be fine. I stuck to the trail that circled the water & it was 1-1.5 miles, varying in ease of the actual path. If you are looking at the water from the road, the path on the left of the water is much bumpier, w/ hills & roots, while the path on the other side is flatter and well-maintained. There are a couple places to sit near the water, as well as a few picnic tables & grills nearby. I've hiked Mt Tom countless times, but found out about this trail through this app & love it cuz it's a nice short walk for after work, esp since sunset is getting earlier. Make sure to park outside the gate on Reservation Rd (from the Holyoke side) if you will be there after 6pm, so you don't get locked inside & have the call the state troopers, like the people we saw last time we went.

A good stretch of the legs. Uneven ground and a good length make it not the easiest trail for some people, but it's scenic and provides views of Bray Lake and the surrounding woodland.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Beautiful walking areas. There is a nice easy trail for leisurely walks and a higher intensity trail for those looking for more exercise.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

great trail. took the dog.would do it again

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Took the dog on the hike and was really nice. Some up and down so interesting. Many off shoot trails that are marked well that will have to be checked out in future.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great trail to hike. So many other trails lead off for this site you can come back many times and do many different hikes.

Friday, April 22, 2016

My dog loved it.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

It was an awesome trail but it lead me to others! I did the "Tea Bag Trail and then ended up going to "Goat Peak" and the reward was a priceless view!

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Bray Lake Loop Trail is a nice trail for all ages. It has about 330ft of elevation gain with 410ft of descent. It wraps around Lake Bray with a few nice bridges to stop and have a snap and throw rocks in the water. I recently did this hike with my wife and our three year old. He was entertained most of the time and it was fun for everyone. Total milage is about 2 miles from parking area.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Bray Lake Loop trail: I am a beginner, and this trail was nice.... A few nice hills... I will wear better shoes next time. The lake views were very pretty! I found maps just laying on the ground but it's good to have a trail map just in case... We had to check the map to make sure we were on the correct trail a few times.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Did the entire loop this time. The beginning portion is extremely easy with gravel, wide path. After that it crosses a bridge and then turns to a regular somewhat narrow hiking trail. Not difficult, mostly flat, but be careful after it rains. We went after alot of rain and it was extremely muddy.

Monday, September 10, 2012

The bray lake trail is very easy. My husband and I spent this past weekend hiking various trails on the Mt. Tom Reservation. The day we went on the Bray Lake loop we had parked on reservation road, followed the Link Trail (which didn't appear to see much usage as it was very narrow from growth) then to the Lost Boulder trail (pretty trail through a grassy open area with an environment unlike those seen at other locations on the mountain) and then to the bray lake loop. This loop is wide, very well maintained and an easy hike/walk. We had completed this then went up the road to the T Bagg trail which is more challenging took a left to the M&M trail toward goat peak and back to our car via reservation road. It's a beautiful area to hike.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

My son and I hiked yesterday with our dog about 4 hours on mount Tom. Beautiful day but make sure you use deet for yourself and frontline or such for dogs. The deer ticks were the worst we have ever seen, they were all over our golden retriever and our shoes. This is early must be the crazy weather.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ive been on several different trail on Mt Tom and enjoyed them very much, now that cooler weather is here id like to go on more of them!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I enjoyed the Dino footprints very much and there are quite a few different sets of prints to view. It is worth the trip with kids or other adults and its good if you dont have a lot of time but want to get out of the house!

Monday, September 19, 2011

The ridge line trail is strenuous to moderate hike depending on which end you start on. More so if you start out on rt. 141 by the Log Cabin, than if you start out inside the reservation by the stone visitor's center. Beautiful fall hike offering great views of the valley. Only real drawback is the graffiti and broken glass. The gate closes at six pm and I have seen people locked in, who have had to call the police to get out after hours.

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Definitely a nice, challenging trail. The radio towers and "ruins" at the top are pretty cool. Most views are of the suburban Pioneer Valley, however, which leave something to be desired.

Friday, July 15, 2011

A nice, tough day hike. Can be done in a few hours but the going is pretty steep. Bring plenty of water and enjoy the view!!

Friday, February 04, 2011

Highly recommended in September when the birds of prey migrate through the area... agreed that the graffiti on the rocks is a downside, but the view down towards the Connecticut River valley are great!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Much like any Forest or Mtn Range there are many trails. I've hiked all of them in Mt Tom and they all vary in skill level. I've taken the Metacomet-Monadnock trail to the top of Mt Tom (which has a lot of graffiti on the rocks) and i've also taken many of the looped trails. There is also a lake for fishing, canoeing, and ice skating.