Bernard Farm Trail

Bernard Farm Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Adams, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a woodsy hike with well marked blue blazes until the AT, which is white. Easy to follow even when blazes aren't visible. There's an old plane crash wreckage on the left side of the trail about 80% way up. After intersecting the AT, head to the summit of Mt. Greylock which was not much more than a 2.4 mile stroll until the last little bit which is quite steep, but not treacherous. Good views in places.

Great fall hike!

W

We headed out from the Notch parking lot which has ample parking. We were the only car! The trailhead starts right from the top of the lot.

A very underused trail on the first mile with wet muddy portions (we've had extended rain lately) and a lot of downed trees. Normally that would not be a problem but we were pack carrying a toddler and an infant so height restrictions were in play.

At the 1.5 mark a crashed airplane wing is on the left side of the trail during the ascent. Continue another .3 up to see the full wreckage of the aircraft fatality. Pay some respect as you see it only 30 feet off the trail on the left side as you ascend.

Another .3 up the trail with very steep portions you intersect the AT in a beautiful wooded junction.

We headed back the same route instead of summiting Greylock due to two cranky kids.

Portions muddy and some steep climbs, but a very practical and pretty trail with some sobering history along the edges.

I would do this trail again when the kids are older.

on a historical note:. the aircraft is N540W and crashed in 1967. It is a Piper, not a Cessna as incorrectly stated in a recent article. There were two fatalities.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Marked well, nice hike to the summit.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

I give this trail 5 stars because it was such a peaceful hike. I saw NO ONE until the AT. I
I hiked the loop and the fall foliage was so amazing that in the sunshine, it felt like I was walking through a painting.
I would not rate this trail as even remotely hard however. It was quite a nice walk over a small mountain.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Very nice hike. 8 miles up and back. Took Bernard Farm Trail from the Notch Road trailhead. Two miles up to link with the AT South and two more miles to the summit. Reversed course to come back down. Didn't see a single person until reaching the AT.

Not very steep and not a lot of rocks. Scrambling over rocks can be tough on the feet and knees and I'm glad to say this trail had little of that really. I was in a hurry and did it in 3:45 hours.

Interesting note: Coming back down the trail, saw a large fiberglass piece of "trash". But what I've read since doing this hike was that a plane crashed near the trail about 25 years ago killing two people. What I saw was the size of a wing and it was right off the trail among some downed coniferous trees. I thought it was trash because I didn't see anything else nearby.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Wonderful hike! Definitely recommend but be ready for some steep inclines!

Monday, July 22, 2013

Good trail. Definitely going to give you a workout on the way up to the AT junction. Very quiet, light crowds and periods of steep incline. A little off the trail, you'll find the plane wreckage from a 1989 plane crash. Be sure to be respectful as 2 people died in this crash. Chose this trail because I was doing Thoreau's Footsteps (suggested hike) and wanted a more gradual ascent than the Bellows Pipe Trail.

Monday, May 06, 2013

Went here last weekend solo to hike the black diamond trails. Did the hanging rock ridge, well worth it. Great view from the end and pretty manageable .

Monday, May 06, 2013

Hiked to the summit of greylock via this trail. Couple sections are steep and really work you out, bring water. It was all worth it when we got to the top

Friday, June 24, 2016