Babson Boulder, Tarr Trail and Common Road

Babson Boulder, Tarr Trail and Common Road is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Gloucester, Massachusetts that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 416 feet Route Type: Loop

Keep your AllTrails map on! Super easy to get lost on this one. Not a lot of people, a lot of beautiful trees and scenery! Little over six miles. I should’ve brought water for myself and the dogs.

Nice hike, closer to Boston. Enjoyed the history as I didn't know anything about the place until I got there. Trail is flat with some berry bushes along the way; cuts and scrapes are likely. The loop trail (recorded here) is really well done on AllTrails and necessary. Be sure to have it on your phone as parts of the trail are well-marked, but other parts of the outer loop are hard to keep straight. That said, I stuck to the highlighted path on AllTrails, and was closer to 7.5 miles in total.

This trail is very overgrown and poorly marked.

So pretty!

Very, very poor markers on certain parts of the trail. BE CAREFUL!

Took Dogtown Rd to Wharf Rd then up the Common Rd and over to Whale’s Jaw, then back to Luce’s Trail, down Art’s Trail and back over to Dogtown Sq and back. Art’s Trail was full of blow downs, bolder hopping, and bushwhacking (sometimes chest high). Mercifully it was well blazed (red blazes). 4.6 mile loop in total.

The markers do devolve as you go down the trail but between this app and the markers that are there it’s not hard to follow the trail. Overall really great place to hike. Minus a star due to being so close to a gun range that at the beginning and end of the loop there were consistent gun shots. More of a mild annoyance than anything else

Beautiful, but very easy to get lost. Not a well marked trail. Has some cool sights, like the rocks with words written on them and the bases of homes that were once built there.

Friday, July 27, 2018

I've spent close to a decade hiking Dogtown and it's a beautiful area. It can be quite easy to get lost out there though, even with all the time I've been out there I still get lost. A few times I made it out thanks to my dogs. I've always hiked it with dogs though, abs haven't hiked it since the dogs passed away. Don't be scared away by the lore, they are a really magical woods. There was a tragic murder back in the 80's but it gets sensationalized too often, it was a tragedy but an isolated one, and the killer was caught. It's also very easy to end up in people's back yards in Dogtown. People are generally very nice if you're respectful.

Friday, July 13, 2018

Hikers, be aware: there was a murder on this trail in the 1980s. Spooky, historical hike. Dogtown was settled in the 1600s by 80 families fleeing pirates, natives, and other coastal bombardments. After the revolutionary war and the war of 1812, dogtown was abandoned, and became a ghost town that housed squatters in the abandoned buildings. Lots of rumors about witches and other such things, too. The numbered boulders signify where a house once stood. Easy to get lost - multiple maps are needed.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

A bit longer by my GPS. Nice trail overall, great for h King and okay for trail running. The moraine section was difficult, and the trail is poorly marked. Needed the map consistently and still made a couple incorrect turns. Great trail for his area

Saturday, April 14, 2018

A fascinating walk into history and the mind of Babson. Come prepared with a physical map as well as this app, and you’ll do great. We were out on a sunny spring morning before the leaves were out so it was relatively easy to spot the trail markers. It’s not creepy.

Friday, February 23, 2018

dont come here. we've spent too much time getting familiar with this place. Read it's history. its very real. This place is dangerous and there are strange practices happening here. multiple unsolved murders, one as recent as 20 years ago should be enough to scare off tourists. Have felt in danger on multiple occasions here. heard what sounded like a massive dog barking and growling a hundred feet behind us, forcing us deeper into woods. Saw people off trail, and someone with a rifle on trail. Stay away!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

This is such a diverse trail. We did a total of 7.4 miles. The trails are marked but can be difficult to follow so make sure you use the All Trails app. We saw at least a half a dozen ribbon snakes, dozens of toads, squirrels and chipmunks along the way. We really enjoyed this because one moment you're surrounded by a pine forest then quickly switches to birch and becomes a cooler darker swamp setting. Lots of boulders and easy elevation. We looked up the history of dogtown after our hike not realizing what we were walking through the whole time. There were moments towards the end of the hike around a field of boulders when we felt like we were being watched and saw a large branch move but nothing was there. If you're into creepy trails and hauntings this is definitely a trail for you. I'm not trying to scare anyone. Embrace it! One of my favorite hikes

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Got really lost. Wandered in woods for hours. Send help!

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

The dog town Loop was very difficult to follow. At the entrance to the park there were maps available. These were terrible. Luckily we had this Ap, otherwise we would not have been able to follow the trails because of the poor map and poor trail markers. The trail I would rate as the easy side of moderate.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Awesome! Loved the rocks!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

We did the orange trail from Dogtown Square to Raccoon Ledge and then around Babson Boulder. ~4 miles. Very buggy so bring the bug spray, have never seen so many caterpillars!

Monday, January 30, 2017

Trails markings can be confusing. Maps are available at trailhead parking area.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

I grew up here! Wide trails, not too busy but busy enough that you're never really alone, lots to see and so many trail options!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Easy walk and numerous trails, with many different enterance points. Very nice walk in spring or fall. During the summer months there is lots of folliage and insects.