Atlantic White Cedar Swamp Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(108)
Cape Cod National Seashore

Atlantic White Cedar Swamp Trail is a 1.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near South Wellfleet, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 72 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

partially paved

This trail is mostly along a boardwalk through the White Cedar Swamp but also involves stairs.

Fun & EZ wasn’t too crowded

A little ecological gem and a very pleasant walk.

Gorgeous easy trail. Highly recommend.

Gorgeous easy trail. Highly recommend.

Visited on a Sunday at 1630, easy but windy hike down to the boardwalk trail and only saw two groups of people (5 people and 2 people) on the way there and no one was on the trail at all while in the swamp area so that was a nice surprise given these times. Straight line back to the parking lot when heading out.

During pandemic a lot of people. They need to space themselves for passing. Otherwise I’d skip until after pandemic

This was a nice easy walk thought stunning, mystical white cedar swamps. I’ve never seen anything like this, encourages me to do more hiking in the area. Plus with social distancing we could hear a lot of frogs!

icy

I'm a huge fan of boardwalks, so I love this trail! It's so fascinating to be able to explore a habitat that normally wouldn't be easy accessible.

Good for birding

lovely walk, even for someone with knee issues

Like most on the Natioal Seashore and excellent hike.

Beautiful, easy walk. Great shady walk for entry-level nature lovers. My family and I take a pilgrimage to this trail every summer. A doable walk for those with some mobility issues.

Short but worth while. Very different from the rest of the coastal areas

Short, easy walk through the woods. The boardwalk was interesting, different environment.

The boardwalk is wonderful to do every year and watch the water levels in the swamp change.

Short, gently rolling loop across the parking lot from the historic Marconi site. Nice boardwalk through white cedar swamp. I had no bug problems when I hiked here on a 64 degree windy day, but I can see why they would be a problem on warmer and calmer days. Great ocean views from Marconi site. Overall, one of the better hiking options at Cape Cod National Seashore.

A relatively short walk to the boardwalk thru the swamp and that “Jurassic Park feeling”. Time the day and weather right to avoid the mosquitos which could ruin the experience. If you get caught in a swarm just pick up the pace and jog about ten quick steps to break away from your co2 trail.

Bring mosquito spray or you will DIE!!!!!

Very scenic hike along boardwalks in the swamp, the swarming mosquitos biting us continually despite our bug spray reduced my rating, we were there June 4.

Sat May 25 2019

Cute short and sweet Trail. Mosquitoes aren't too bad if you keep moving.

Sun May 19 2019

Breathtaking and beautiful. I like this place a lot.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Unique and interesting fauna and flora makes this trail an excellent hike for walking and learning!

Tue Jan 29 2019

Great, interesting trail for all ages. Buggy during the middle of the summer months. Spectacular boardwalk path through the swamp.

Fri Oct 26 2018

I enjoyed this hike. I started the hike just before dusk so I had to really step it out. The trail is generally well marked but down near the swamp there are a couple of ways to go. The way I went extended the hike a little longer but ended up rejoining the trail. I think the best part of the trail was the little extended portion that I did.

Wed Sep 19 2018

A nice easy walk through forest and ancient white cedar swamp. Actually only one 1⃣ mosquito!

Sun Aug 26 2018

Small trail, beautifully paved through the woods. No pets and ticks alert!!!

Sun Aug 26 2018

Pretty interesting loop through Pitch Pine forest down into the Cedar Swamp. The swamp is very unique with its tall Cedar trees that almost block out the sun. The trails are very well maintained with easy boardwalks and wide paths. Don’t pass up the 0.6 mile Spur to Marconi Beach, great views can be had from the massive dunes.