Ashland Reservoir Trail

Ashland Reservoir Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ashland, Massachusetts that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 95 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Please note: in the event the park gate is closed, expect to add 1/2 mile each way to and from the trailhead. A trail network exists that encircles the lake.

My happy place. Yes, it's pretty easy, but the people (and DOGS!) are lovely, and the views are great.

I live right on this trail so have hiked it a lot, it’s a great fairly short hike! I went with my dogs and they loved it, very dog friendly and plenty of places for them to swim.

Highly recommended and dog friendly. Very enjoyable walk.

Lots of friendly dayhikers and dogs accompanied by the joyous aromas, sights and sounds of picnic barbecues, laughter, the splash of an occasional swimmer, human or dog, filtered light of pine trees. Many secluded nooks and crannies around the sparkling clean water pond. Trail is mix of soft dirt and dark in some spots and roots, a section in the more quiet South side of the reservoir requires some light walks on rocks and uneven hilly surface. There is a bit of walking on Spring Street (far South end of the trail) and then back down a moderate embankment into the forest. My walk was around the reservoir plus some side trails. Fitbit says 4.5 miles (approximate time 2 hrs). Definitely becoming a local favorite.

still no bugs, very little mud.

very pleasant hike. no bugs, almost no mud.

Very nice 3.2 Mile hike in the woods around the reservoir!

Great for a trail run. Small Island with a rope swing on it too.

The gate was closed so we had to walk about 1/2 to get to the trail. Fun hike that loops around a body of water. I brought my dogs which was nice, however many people do not keep their dogs on leashes as required. Not a huge deal for me personally, but we aware that off leash dogs will run up to you and your furry friends. Spots to swim for humans/dogs. We also saw a few swans!

My dogs and I enjoyed this trail! They loved swimming in the reservoir and I enjoyed the walk. It was meant to be a jog but the trail is all roots so for the sake of my ankles, I walked most of it :-/ oh well. As every other review has said, all dogs are off leash so you might as well plan for that. For some reason the gate was still closed when the park was supposed to be open so we had to park at the little park at the entrance but that is what everyone was doing so I guess it’s ok!

Friday, July 27, 2018

Now that the park is open I noticed they want $6 or $8 at the gate, a day-use fee. Nobody was manning the station so I just parked (there is a self-service pay station but I was only planning on being there an hour or so). Maybe next time I'll just pay it, they keep the place in pretty good shape. I did a little bushwack on this trek and also noticed they mended the fence so it's more difficult to get into the quarry area. That is private property so suppose I should stay out. A nice loop for sure and the Doggy Memorial, absolutely precious.

Friday, July 13, 2018

4.25/5 is my review and we only saw a fraction of the park. The staff at the gates were very helpful and the park itself is pristine with clear water and and easy terrain. Living minutes away, this place is a gem.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Me and my bestfriend did this hike today!!! Loved every second of it. Peaceful, and relaxing! A lot of activities too. People bring their dogs, they jog, there’s people swimming! Very clean, very nice! Would definitely recommend to everyone who you like to walk peacefully.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Approximately 4 Miles. Was initially difficult to figure out the yellow trail but eventually was nicely labeled. There was a VERY short spot where you have to walk on the street bridge. Love the waterfall area.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Tons of dogs not on leashes as required. Lots of dog poop and trash. Would recommend you bring a trash bag and try to clean up.

Friday, May 11, 2018

Nice trek around the reservoir. Made my way over to the quarry which was fun to see. Next time I might try and run around it. It is full of water and looks pretty deep. Went thru the Girl Scout Camp on my way back, no campers yet. A nice property!

Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Amazing trail been using it my whole life there is a beaver damn on one side by the boat ramp side

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

beautiful Trails, very dog friendly off leash, great clean water.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A really nice loop. There is a beaver in there somewhere but couldn't find his home.

Monday, September 04, 2017

An easy go-to!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

It's a nice place to walk, lots of dogs and nice people. It takes me about an hour to walk it.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

A wonderful trail for a day hike. Sticks by a beautiful lake the whole way

Friday, July 21, 2017

Always good

Sunday, June 25, 2017

What an amazing place! It felt more like a giant dog park than a hiking trail. My dogs couldn't get enough of the other dogs and all the swimming spots!

Monday, May 15, 2017

go on a weekday, awesome hike. dog loves it. opportunities for humans and pups to swim. great for off leash dogs. beware of coyotes

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Loved it! Very relaxing.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Enjoyed the trail!! Beautiful view

Saturday, March 18, 2017

I love this trail! Have done it a couple times!