Arnold Arboretum Trail

Arnold Arboretum Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Take a break from the urban life and escape to this arboretum for some solitude among the various tree species. This guide covers all the major areas of interest within the Arnold Arboretum located just south of Boston in the Forest Hills area of Jamaica Plain. This is a great place to go if you want to escape into peaceful surroundings. There are many interpretive signs about the various species of plants you will discover along the walk.

Very easy and pleasant walk. Nice for kids and dogs. Any type of foot wear is good. Lots of smaller trails off of the main road that you can follow to change the walk route.

Simply put a great place to visit either walking it or riding your bike

I had a few hours in Boston before my flight and decided to check out the arboretum grounds. This is a lovely place to take a walk, bike ride, or just relax. I took most of the walking trails instead of the asphault roads. I enjoyed the Dawn Redwoods next to the Hunnewell Building. The pond was beautiful as well. Towards the end of my walk, I spotted several wild turkeys eating off the trail.

Great for groups

Pretty and fun hike with the kids. Like that there are paved road/walkways and off trail (mulch). Will go back again with the option of bringing bikes.

Nice ride around the Arboretum grounds. Biked to the top of Bussey Hill.

Thu Jan 10 2019

Beautiful even during winter!

Tue Jul 24 2018

Parts feel as if your in Colorado. Spectacular meadows studded with exotic evergreens. Magnificent

Sun Dec 10 2017

Stunning

Sat Nov 18 2017

The trail is a mix of dirt and paved paths. Two decent sized hills. One with a nice view of the city. Plenty of parking along the road outside of the entrance.

Sun Oct 15 2017

Mon Aug 07 2017

Scenic walk with views of downtown Boston. Went in winter even though nothing was bloomed and it was still pretty. Will definitely be back!

Sun Apr 16 2017

Beautiful and easy. It's more of a walk than a hike but the area is gorgeous. Perfect for a Sunday morning!

Thu Dec 01 2016

I've been going here since I was a child. For nature walks, bike rides and picnics. Now I bring my children. I love this place.

Thu Oct 20 2016

I've hiked in the Arboretum multiple times. There are several different landscapes and you there are pretty views on top of the hills, which aren't difficult to summit.

Mon Aug 22 2016

Great when flowers are in bloom

Sat Aug 06 2016

Nice walk with great scenery

Wed Jun 29 2016

Magic backyard

Fri Jun 12 2015

I live right down the street and LOVE LOVE LOVE the arb. Wouldn't say there's a lot of "hiking " but it's a lovely place to walk your dog (especially at peters hill), ride your bike, and it's a good place for conditioning when training for a race. I can honestly say this place is one of the reasons I can't bring myself to move...there's nothing in or around the city quite like it.

Sun Jun 07 2015

A very nice walk, considering it's accessibility from the city. Variety of trees provide a nice view. Fairly easy walk, often populated with retired couples and dogs being walked. Worth a visit for anyone living in the city, however I wouldn't recommend the trail for a tourist on a tight schedule.

recorded Arboretum