Appalachian Trail from Jug End to Bear Mountain

Appalachian Trail from Jug End to Bear Mountain is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Great Barrington, Massachusetts that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

This AT segment is a 10 mile point-to-point trail located near Great Barrington, Massachusetts that features a great forest setting. The trail is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great hike. I parked at Jug End road and began my hike there. Unfortunately I picked a rainy so, it was slippery and muddy, and the trails were covered by the mist. At least it was chilly and not humid or muggy. I originally wanted to hike all the way to Bear Mountain but once I got to Mount Race I decided to go back cause it’s a long loop. If it was a one way, i would’ve done it. A loop hike to Mount Race alone was a total of 12.6 miles and by the time I was close to my car I was so sleepy and hungry lol. I almost wanted to crash at the Glen Brook shelter lol which btw it’s a beautiful shelter. There’s an outback, fire pit, bear box, table with a bench and a creek nearby. I got one clear scenic view but others were misty. The wooden stairs bolted on the rocks are pretty cool too. I was surprised at how many through hikers I met along the way some coming from Maine and others from Georgia. They were real nice people. Other than that, it was an awesome hike.

Great hike from the AT trailhead near Jug End up to Mt. Everett. steep climb at the beginning then leisurely hike along a ridge with views. Summit is a bit unremarkable, but nice views from the shelter just below. was snowing throughout our hike with no one else on the trail.

Parked at the Jug End Road trail head and hiked to the Mt Everett Summit. Loved this trail! Fantastic trail variation kept us interested and the many open vistas offered natural points to stop and catch your breath. We hiked up to the summit of Mt Everett first and then caught the loop around Guilder Pond back to the AT. Headed north to get back to our car. Finished about 10 miles in just over five hours. Would absolutely do this hike again!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

good hike for fitness. beautiful look out and had lunch at the pond. people were eating lunch and swimming. came across a rattle snake on the way back down....made excellent time back to the car following that!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Extremely good. Challenging. Guilder pond is heaven. I loved it. 12 of us hiked from Jug end to Mount Everett 7 and 11 year old girls did it all.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Certainly a demanding stretch, but well worth the effort. Such a beautiful hike with quite a few flat(ish) sections, but equally matched with steep and dramatic climbs.

Monday, November 07, 2016

hard, amazing view

Friday, October 03, 2014

This stretch of trail, from Jug End to the top of Bear Mountain, is not for amateurs.....but the views are amazing.

Monday, August 07, 2017