Ames Nowell State Park Trails

Ames Nowell State Park Trails is a 3.5 mile loop trail located near Abington, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Decent trails. Definitely an easy hike. Nice location hard to believe it straddles a bit of Brockton.

Pleasant walk past ponds and over wooden bridges.

I like this park and trail. It can be confusing at times, some trails aren't marked that well. The trails change too, one minute you'll be on the blue trail and then all of a sudden you'll be on the green trail. It can be muddy, so wear proper shoes.

I absolutely love coming here! I am from Abington and live within a mile of Ames Nowell- I visit 4-5 times a week minimum! I am always impressed that there is no trash in the park, it is very well up kept. The main trails are always completely clear of debris, and the smaller trails are in very good shape too. The description of 3.5 is inaccurate because there are various trails that have not been shown, and that is NOT the best way to enter the park. The map that is shown as of now gives a less traveled route. I'd recommend entering from Linwood st if you are unfamiliar with this area, because it is more clearly marked! Follow the blue signs and you'll do just fine from the main entrance! I have walked the entire perimeter of the water, it is about 3.5 miles along the easiest route. Had I wandered into less traveled trails I could've substantially increased my distance. Not many people do the entire route, as that took me nearly two hours without any breaks. But, the easier trails offer great distance as well with many opportunities to turn around, and very few difficult obstacles. I bring my dog with me every time I visit, and this is definitely his favorite place to come-- taking precedence over dog parks! On our hikes we also see many other dogs which is something I value very much!! Undoubtedly the best state park in the area. You can mountain bike the trails and may also take a boat on the water (that is not motorized), canoes, kayaks, there are various places for picnics including public grills. Many people come here to fish as well! So I would absolutely say give this park a try!

I did the 3.5 mile loop around the pond with my dogs on a gorgeous, unseasonably warm March day. It's a great trail, but was very muddy in spots, so wear appropriate footwear for mud and muck. Please note that the directions don't take you to the best place to start the trail. I suggest starting at the main park entrance at the end of Linwood Street. I originally tried to access the trail of of Route 18, and it was poorly marked and really littered coming in near the power lines. We headed the wrong direction and spent 40 minutes bushwacking before I turned around and hopped back on the car. Luckily, I saw a sign for the park and followed it. The actual marked trail from Park Headquarters is fantastic. I'm so glad I didn't leave before I found the good trail.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Monday, May 30, 2016

We did the whole 3.5 mile hike with our kids who are 8 & 10. It was a little muddy in some places, but I rather expect that when hiking in the woods. I used my phone occasionally to check where we were on the trail using a combination of all trails and Google. Great fun hike, took a couple of hours with the kids stopping to climb the rocks:)