Ames Nowell State Park Trails is a 3.3 mile loop trail located near Abington, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

I would rate the level of difficulty as easy to moderate, you can walk it without encountering too many strenuous inclines. If you enter to the right, and stay on path you will be rewarded by a beautiful serene boardwalk path where deer are often seen drinking from the swamp. At the entrance to the forest there is accessible lake access for fishing and a lovely rushing dam. After the thaw or any significant rain fall you will need to step across some standing water. There is an interesting old gravestone along the way also.

Beautiful with lots of trails to choose from. Nice and quiet. Walk. Lots of rocks and roots on trails so watch for trip hazards.

So different trails to choose from you can have a different experience each time you go. Definitely really muddy in places so proper footwear is a must.

Loved this trail! It’s great for dogs, has bodies of water and bridges, wooden paths, picnic tables, rocks to climb! Love it and would go again! The app does not take you to the right address you wanna go to the end of Linwood Road to get to the parking lot!

Friday, October 06, 2017

Cool place, lots of single track swirling and winding, rocky in some areas, great riding!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Decent trails. Definitely an easy hike. Nice location hard to believe it straddles a bit of Brockton.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Pleasant walk past ponds and over wooden bridges.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

I like this park and trail. It can be confusing at times, some trails aren't marked that well. The trails change too, one minute you'll be on the blue trail and then all of a sudden you'll be on the green trail. It can be muddy, so wear proper shoes.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

I absolutely love coming here! I am from Abington and live within a mile of Ames Nowell- I visit 4-5 times a week minimum! I am always impressed that there is no trash in the park, it is very well up kept. The main trails are always completely clear of debris, and the smaller trails are in very good shape too. The description of 3.5 is inaccurate because there are various trails that have not been shown, and that is NOT the best way to enter the park. The map that is shown as of now gives a less traveled route. I'd recommend entering from Linwood st if you are unfamiliar with this area, because it is more clearly marked! Follow the blue signs and you'll do just fine from the main entrance! I have walked the entire perimeter of the water, it is about 3.5 miles along the easiest route. Had I wandered into less traveled trails I could've substantially increased my distance. Not many people do the entire route, as that took me nearly two hours without any breaks. But, the easier trails offer great distance as well with many opportunities to turn around, and very few difficult obstacles. I bring my dog with me every time I visit, and this is definitely his favorite place to come-- taking precedence over dog parks! On our hikes we also see many other dogs which is something I value very much!! Undoubtedly the best state park in the area. You can mountain bike the trails and may also take a boat on the water (that is not motorized), canoes, kayaks, there are various places for picnics including public grills. Many people come here to fish as well! So I would absolutely say give this park a try!

Thursday, March 09, 2017

I did the 3.5 mile loop around the pond with my dogs on a gorgeous, unseasonably warm March day. It's a great trail, but was very muddy in spots, so wear appropriate footwear for mud and muck. Please note that the directions don't take you to the best place to start the trail. I suggest starting at the main park entrance at the end of Linwood Street. I originally tried to access the trail of of Route 18, and it was poorly marked and really littered coming in near the power lines. We headed the wrong direction and spent 40 minutes bushwacking before I turned around and hopped back on the car. Luckily, I saw a sign for the park and followed it. The actual marked trail from Park Headquarters is fantastic. I'm so glad I didn't leave before I found the good trail.

Monday, May 30, 2016

We did the whole 3.5 mile hike with our kids who are 8 & 10. It was a little muddy in some places, but I rather expect that when hiking in the woods. I used my phone occasionally to check where we were on the trail using a combination of all trails and Google. Great fun hike, took a couple of hours with the kids stopping to climb the rocks:)

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

I was in the area and looking for a short hike so we decided to stop at Ames Nowell State Park, thinking the 3.5 mile loop around the lake would be just about right. The trail started out wide and well tended and marked. After about a mile, parts of the trail were very wet and at certain parts impassable which led us to having to take alternate routes and extend our hike beyond the original 3.5 miles. Due to the large number of areas with standing water, bug spray is a must! We weren't prepared and are now paying the price. While on the trail we encountered 2 people on ATV's and another group of 3 on dirt bikes.

scenic driving