Learn more

Alton's Way, White Cedar, Coleman Cove and Jasmine Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(35)
McDonald Nature Preserve

Alton's Way, White Cedar, Coleman Cove and Jasmine Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wilbraham, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 65 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This route covers most of the trails at the McDonald Nature Preserve in Wilbraham, MA. The trail is a pleasant, easy trek through open fields and woodland. Great for birding in the spring and fall. Some sections may be muddy at times. More details for this trail can be found at the the Town of Wilbraham website: https://www.wilbraham-ma.gov/index.aspx?NID=295

Nice trail! I only saw one other person. I also saw a white tailed dear in the field. Bring bug spray!

very nice trail full of charm and good energy.

This is my first trail on this app and I'm glad I had the app. There are MANY side trails and heard paths aonthe app was handy keeping me on the loop. I did the loop and some other side travels in my Gravel Bike and it was a great ride. Scenic, not many people out this day. Looks like a great walking trail too and I plan to walk the dogs on some of these trails as well. Any Gravel riders locally let me know.

The parking lot was confusing off of Hillcrest drive. You see mailboxes and an unpaved, small "parking lot" to the right. I passed it at first because it has trash(tires and pallets) and I didn't realize it was a parking spot for the trails. The beginning trails aren't marked very well. Good thing I had downloaded the trails on this app, or I might have gotten lost. There were horse droppings and debris from motocross bikes on the trails. They were out there using the trail while I was hiking too, so the smell of gas was unpleasant, throughout. I didn't let any of those things stop me though, and continued on. As you continue on the trails, they do become better marked. The hike is very easy, with little elevation. Some muddy spots here and there, mainly from where tire tracks wore down the trail. The views are nice though, especially in the fall. Would be nicer if motorized vehicles were prohibited though. Lots of trash from them. I cleaned up as I went, but they are ruining the trails.

Where the parking lots?

Nice easy hike with little loops... Mostly through the woods, but near sooner meadows.

Mon Nov 26 2018

This trail has beautiful open field vistas as well as great woodland walks. It’s also great for snowshoes and cross country skiing. There is a parking lot at both ends so you can hike as much or as little as you want.

Fri Nov 02 2018

On a hike here on November 1, members of the Wilbraham Hiking Club enjoyed the forests and fields of the McDonald Nature Preserve. In addition to hiking Alton's Way, the Jasmine Trail and the Coleman Cover Trail, this was our first time checking out the White Cedar Trail, which abuts a rare inland white cedar swamp. Other species are beginning to overtake the swamp, but we have heard that a restoration project may be in the works. We try to hike the McDonald Nature preserve least once a season, as it is "all-seasons pretty" , At this time of year, there are quire a few muddy sections, but that does not detract from the enjoyment of the trails.

Thu Nov 01 2018

This hike is one of the many lovely town trails in Wilbraham. It has rocks and roots in some sections, and is often muddy in other sections. Nevertheless, it is easy walking and hiking past fields and through forested areas, including a unique White Cedar Swamp. On today's trek with the Wilbraham Hiking Club, we found "evidence" of some of the horseback riders who enjoy the trail as well. We also met some folks who were walking their dogs on leashes. It does not have any viewscapes; it is simply a lovely place to take a pleasant trek in the woods!