Learn more

Woodbrook, Gillis, Ladder and Middle Run Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(94)
Gillis Falls Park

Woodbrook, Gillis, Ladder and Middle Run Loop is a 3.5 mile loop trail located near Mount Airy, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 410 feet Route Type: Loop

my review echoes what others have already said. this trail is beautiful, a little gem. However, the second half is very poorly marked, if marked at all. There are multiple stream crossings (which can be fun in the hot months). The reason I give it such a low review though is because it is right next to a designated hunting area (wildlife management zone managed by the county). So while being lost and meandering would be lovely in other circumstances, doing so next to a hunting zone is not. You can hear the guns going off nearby and the divide between the two zones is not clear. Also, not clear if the hunters have the same problem of knowing where their zone ends. (I did see some hunting posts in the hiking area). Definitely wear a bright color like orange on this trail. I want to love it but this was not relaxing. It’s too bad because it is beautiful

Beautiful, but no markings.

While you definitely need the AllTrails app to navigate this Because it is not well labeled, it was absolutely beautiful. I recommend wearing long pants because some of the trails are more narrow. I think this is my favorite trail yet. They were easier parts and more challenging parts. My favorite parts were when the dog and I went off the main trail into the offshoots. I had waterproof hiking boots so it really wasn’t a problem but there are areas where you can cross the stream

lots of decision pts. and no trail markers to speak of.

2nd half of trail not really for biking, too narrow, logs across path, downhill very rocky, some water crossings too deep for a bike.

the trail is well marked for the first half to the northern edge. once you make the turn and head south west on the large loop it becomes challenging to see the trail, also there's an overblown river you need to cross. overall challenging, could use better maintenance and wear water boots

3 stream crossings with no alternative but to get wet. One stream came up to my knees. Ok for April, not so great in colder months. The first part has wide, easy to follow trails. By the time you reach the upper loop and pass the baseball field, the trails are narrow and hard to follow. Many unmarked trails. I definitely needed the AllTrails app to navigate. Not for beginners.

Was greeted with a gruesome sight right at the beginning of the trail. Cig butts and graffiti abound. Got really really bad vibes from this location so hiked for about 5 mins to the creek and hauled out of there. Won’t be back.

Fairly short trail, but you can loop around. Not well marked, but using AllTrails it was easy to follow. Dog friendly with only a few slopes. Nice creek running through

Nice wooded trail, only issue was some overgrowth and downed trees made the path harder to follow in some areas. I got a little lost trying to follow what I could see of the trails, luckily I had my dog with me and he had no problem getting us back to the trail entrance. These are trails used for horseback riding so be careful of horse droppings along the main part of the trail, but that is to be expected. I went out around 1pm on a Tuesday and didn't come across anyone else using the trails, maybe there are more people on weekends or at peak times but it was a nice solo hike with my dog and that's what I was looking for.

AllTrails describes this as “moderately” trafficked, but I cleared out about 7 spider webs with my face. Spent about 2 miles after that waving a stick in front of me. It’s also definitely more of a moderate difficulty. There are no paved trails and there are considerable inclines (though overall elevation is not too crazy). Trail is nice otherwise. Definitely wear boots. There are some shallow streams to cross and some parts get a bit muddy at lower elevations. Kind of awkward having to park in an equestrian center to get in, but nobody bothered me about it. Oh, horse poop. There’s horse poop in the trail. Not a ton, but enough to get you when you’re not paying attention. I probably won’t come back, there are better places closer to me in Frederick.

Stay on marked trails the trails through woods to make the loop are overgrown and hard to follow- Trails will be muddy after a rain as it was fairly muddy 4 days after last rain- As mentioned in other posts need waterproof boots to cross stream at various points

Sat May 25 2019

slightly confusing to find the enterance. The trails we ok and easy to walk with the kids 2 and 7. We would like to have explored more but the kiddos needed to go back.

Fri Apr 26 2019

4 creek crossings, large, come prepared. The trails aren’t marked, use this app to stay in course, you walk in farming fields. Physically this is a very easy hike. Local farmers allow you to use their land to access the trail and the old Boy Scouts campground area. So I take a trash bag and clean up. But there isn’t much trash. The graffiti is on the old cabins are cool. There are waterfalls, look for the concrete pad. They are two feet tall. I realize this isn’t what people are expecting, but it’s a fun hike! This is basically in my back yard, so my favorite hike because it is local.

Thu Aug 16 2018

Parts of this trail are beautiful but we kept saying how it would be a lot better on a horse. We had to cross streams without any rocks to step on numerous times to stay on the 3.5 mile loop we were following. It was tricky to find all the trails and we never would have gotten out without GPS. I may go again but would wait until the ground dries because the trails were also super muddy!

Sun Aug 05 2018

This is a great network of trails. Saw where reviewers had trouble with app. I did a web search, downloaded and printed a trail map. The trails are wide and well defined but poorly marked. We had no trouble finding our way. Trails on the app are only what someone has hiked and supplied to the app. Basic woodcraft beats GPS everytime.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Huge muddy puddles left by ATVs. Tho no ATVs seen on trails that day. The name of the stream is Gillis Falls. However, as other reviewer’s note there are no waterfalls on these trails. I recommend accessing the trails about 1/4 mile south of the equestrian ctr and just going out and back on the main gravel road that parallels the stream. Park at the 90° turn before the road goes up the steep hill.

Tue Jun 26 2018

Good amount of hills. Hard to find on GPS. Was at the back of an equestrian park. Park at gate and walk to the trail head behind the horse area. We had to keep checking our phone maps because the trail isn’t marked and we did find ourselves lost a bit. Muddy in areas because lots of the trails is down by the stream. We even had to get our feet wet crossing streams here and there. But a fun trail. Saw many deer.

Sat Apr 14 2018

Thankful I was an experienced hiker and had live GPS because I certainly wasn’t able to follow the marked trail on the map. I did pick up a full 13 gallon bag of trash, seems like a good trail for horses and definitely noticed the motorized vehicle tracks. And no waterfall on Gillis Falls trail.

Wed Apr 04 2018

Very nice trail for equestrian use as well as hiking and mountain bikes. Per the Carroll County Parks Ordinance, no ATV's or motorized vehicles are allowed in this area. If you see or hear motorized vehicles using this trail, please contact Carroll County Sherriff's Office. For more info, contact Carroll County Department of Recreation and Parks at 410-386-2103 or ccrec@ccg.carr.org

Fri Nov 10 2017

Do not do this trail unless you have live GPS, you will get lost. The gpx points are spot on so watch them very carefully. This a just a combination of various paths that all unmarked. There are 4 stream crossings. 2 have logs that are crossable a short distance away ( some sticker bushes). 2 required wading through shin level water. Fun for the adventurous, not for the beginner.

Sat Oct 28 2017

Horrible Trail! got lost, app didn't help either. alltrails needs to update their information. there were many trails not marked and we couldn't find our way back. it was supposed to be a simple Loop.

Sun Oct 22 2017

Beautiful quiet hike. However it was Tough with no markers. Thankful for the hike map on the app. Plus couldn’t cross the water in some places and had to re route a few times.

Mon Sep 04 2017