Wolf Rock & Chimney Rock Trail

Wolf Rock & Chimney Rock Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thurmont, Maryland that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A rugged hike to two outstanding vistas and a fascinating rock formation in Catoctin Mountain Park This is a somewhat rugged hike to two outstanding vistas and a fascinating rock formation known as Wolf Rock, traveling through immense stands of hardwoods and abundant mountain laurel. Special considerations: With two outstanding vistas, add plenty of time to your itinerary for enjoying the views.

Fun hike. Nice overlooks and rocks for good bouldering action. I’ve taken this hike many times...

nice hike, plenty of shade, some muddy spots.

I would not say this is hard but more moderate. It however was very rocky in places. The first stop we could not really see anything just trees but was a nice hike. Chimney Rock was a nice view no snakes while we were there but lots of lizards. It was worth the walk.

Nice view at chimney Rock, actually saw a juvenile rattler so beware. had a 3 year old and that was tough at times but he was a champ. Def a tough Rocky trail, wouldn't recommend unless you are ready to sweat.

If you are desiring serenity I recommend getting their early. The first mile runs parallel with the road and it's heavily traveled. The Rocks are pretty sweet once you do finally get there. I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't do it again. Sorry I did Glen Onoko the weekend before so that's really tough to beat.

A 1.5 mile hike if you park at the headquarters so it's nice with kids. It's supposed to be okay for dogs, however it's steep and rocky, so only for athletic dogs with tough paws.

fun hike that is not too crowded, has some rock scrambling if you want along wolf rock and amazing views of the town below

I parked at the park headquarters, and instead of doing the whole loop (that would take you along the road for a while) I went to chimney rock then wolf rock and then turned around back to the car. The rocks are so fun to climb on and the views are awesome! Wouldn't rate it as challenging, lots of kids and dogs on this trail.

Fun, challenging loop that is worth it for the view. Was busy the day we went with people and dogs. Trail is very rocky in places and steep at times. You can park at the Visitor's Center or the park administration building; both are on this loop. The dog loved it!

Loved this hike! It was bitterly cold but the views were worth it.

Challenging hike, especially with rocky trail covered with leaves. Especially beautiful view from Chimney Rock. View from Wolf Rock is not as impressive after the leaves have fallen, but probably more spectacular in early fall or spring.

Enjoyed the hike and especially loved the view from Chimney Rock.

beautiful hike, especially in fall. Chimney Rock is wonderful and everytime I've been it's not very crowded. Great trail for dogs.

Short hike with some great views -- definitely recommend! Be careful near Chimney/Wolf Rocks, as there are a lot of crevasses. Easy to follow, trail is well-blazed (orange)

Awesome trail with great views and cool geologic history. Plenty of spots for some scrambling too! Great confidence builder for new hikers like myself, with lots of crevices to jump over and rocks to climb. The trail is a challenge but the views are worth it. Only downfall is the trail is poorly marked/designated in some places.

Great trail run, views are limited during summer due to foliage.

Went upto chimney then on they way back stopped over at the wolf, part of it was hard, but saw families bring dogs and kids. I spent good 2.5 hrs there, loved it.

Great hike!

Great hike!

1/3 of trail is along busy (loud!) road, which really takes away from the otherwise beautiful (but rocky!) trail.

We went clockwise. The trail starts quite steeply. Wolf rock had some good scrambling and the view form Chimney Rock was pretty. We continued clockwise down the mountain, but the last mile was just walking next to the road. If I had it to do over again, after Chimney Rock, I would just have returned the way we came.

Had to carry my dog in some spots- he's a mini Schnauzer- but great hike!

I had the misfortune of doing this in sub-freezing weather, but the counter fortune of it lightly snowing while I was on the hike. This made for some painful moments, an icy beard, beautiful views and a hike that is deeply embedded in my memory. This hike gets a little tougher at the end when you come down as it gets a bit steep, rocky, and tough to keep track of the trail. But a much recommend hike from me. Five star, five star.

A little strenuous, but worth the hike to see Wolf Rock & Chimney Rock. Be ready to walk on lots of rocks.

Tougher than I thought but fun trail.

I enjoyed it it was just another one of those trails you have to keep your eye on the path the entire time so you don't eat shit it was definitely a good hike we both got a really good workout

Hit the trailhead at 4:30 AM in the dark to catch the sunrise. Nice little 3 mile out and back with almost no one else there (just one other hiker at that time).

Nice trail with awesome overlooks. Even though it's less than 4 miles know that it will take most people a few hours. Personally I would not take the steps up to the overlook the way down will be steeper with more sketchy rocks. There was a cool stream to filter water from and it's ice cold.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

GREAT hike thru the woods! Enjoyed some rock climbing at Wolf Rock. There are deep crevices to jump and great views. The inclines gave my legs a work out. The Mountain Laurel was in bloom! Will do again!