Wolf Rock & Chimney Rock Trail

Wolf Rock & Chimney Rock Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thurmont, Maryland that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A rugged hike to two outstanding vistas and a fascinating rock formation in Catoctin Mountain Park This is a somewhat rugged hike to two outstanding vistas and a fascinating rock formation known as Wolf Rock, traveling through immense stands of hardwoods and abundant mountain laurel. Special considerations: With two outstanding vistas, add plenty of time to your itinerary for enjoying the views.

We were visiting Gettysburg and found this trail via AllTrails app. Was a great Spring hike.

Loved this hike! The trails were very well marked and signage was posted accordingly. I would rate this as moderate. I started off counter clockwise and found this helpful as I went up the rockier parts and did not have as many rocks going down. That being said it is still a rocky trail. Loved seeing chimney rock and wolf rock. I would definitely like to return.

Great hike clear markings
Got the hike in before the rain

Great hike. Loved some of the views. The markings could have been a lil better but over all would do this again.

Some nice views and facilities. The trail is very well marked.

rock climbing

After a friend of ours bought property in the Catoctin mountains, my husband fell in love with it. Few months ago, we took a trip to Gettysburg and decided to spontaneously get tattoos. He got Chimney Rock inside his tattoo even though we have never seen it. Last weekend, we took the trail and saw it for the first time and it was breath-taking.

This was a fun trail. Definitely not as hard as the label would make it out to be.

Great hike. If you take the left trailhead it’s about a mile uphill. Good workout. Great bouldering at wolf rock and beautiful view at chimney rock. Lots of rock jutting out on trail. We took time outs at both wolf and chimney and did the loop in 2 hr 30 min. Will be back!

Beautiful hike. I got lost but managed to find myself back on a trail! Found a rattle snake so be aware of your surroundings. Happy hiking :)

My husband and I are beginner hikers, we hiked up to Wolf Rock, and really enjoyed it a lot. Chimney Rock is the next destination on this hike!

Lots of rocky outcroppings. Not for the beginner hiker.

Well marked trail with rewarding rock outcrops . Great 1/2 day hike. We like to do this in early spring and late fall.

AMAZING HIKE!! Absolute smoker if you love hiking for time!!

Some nice views and challenging terrain at times. Walking through the woods was beautiful!

We decided to kick of the 4th of July with a booty burner hike! It was already 85 degrees when we woke up. We sweated our ass off and got a good hike in. It was around 100 degrees by 11 am. We took the dog and ended up only doing 2.3 miles because he was struggling in the heat and we didn’t want to push him. We passed a dog that was extremely stressed and over heated on the way up. Park service came to assist the owner in getting the dog down the trail to get help. It was hard to see the dog in that condition. I’ve thought about the dog all day and pray he made it. Bring PLENTY of water to hydrate for everyone!!! Great hike. Looking forward to finishing the entire loop another time.

Fun hike. Nice overlooks and rocks for good bouldering action. I’ve taken this hike many times...

nice hike, plenty of shade, some muddy spots.

I would not say this is hard but more moderate. It however was very rocky in places. The first stop we could not really see anything just trees but was a nice hike. Chimney Rock was a nice view no snakes while we were there but lots of lizards. It was worth the walk.

Nice view at chimney Rock, actually saw a juvenile rattler so beware. had a 3 year old and that was tough at times but he was a champ. Def a tough Rocky trail, wouldn't recommend unless you are ready to sweat.

If you are desiring serenity I recommend getting their early. The first mile runs parallel with the road and it's heavily traveled. The Rocks are pretty sweet once you do finally get there. I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't do it again. Sorry I did Glen Onoko the weekend before so that's really tough to beat.

A 1.5 mile hike if you park at the headquarters so it's nice with kids. It's supposed to be okay for dogs, however it's steep and rocky, so only for athletic dogs with tough paws.

fun hike that is not too crowded, has some rock scrambling if you want along wolf rock and amazing views of the town below

I parked at the park headquarters, and instead of doing the whole loop (that would take you along the road for a while) I went to chimney rock then wolf rock and then turned around back to the car. The rocks are so fun to climb on and the views are awesome! Wouldn't rate it as challenging, lots of kids and dogs on this trail.

Fun, challenging loop that is worth it for the view. Was busy the day we went with people and dogs. Trail is very rocky in places and steep at times. You can park at the Visitor's Center or the park administration building; both are on this loop. The dog loved it!

Loved this hike! It was bitterly cold but the views were worth it.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Challenging hike, especially with rocky trail covered with leaves. Especially beautiful view from Chimney Rock. View from Wolf Rock is not as impressive after the leaves have fallen, but probably more spectacular in early fall or spring.

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Enjoyed the hike and especially loved the view from Chimney Rock.

Sunday, November 05, 2017

beautiful hike, especially in fall. Chimney Rock is wonderful and everytime I've been it's not very crowded. Great trail for dogs.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Short hike with some great views -- definitely recommend! Be careful near Chimney/Wolf Rocks, as there are a lot of crevasses. Easy to follow, trail is well-blazed (orange)

Wednesday, October 25, 2017