Vineyard Soapstone Loop

Vineyard Soapstone Loop is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glenartney, Maryland that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail loop has many options in regard to parking. You can park at the top of S. Rolling Rd., also Lost Lake Pond or drive through the Stone Tunnel straight up to the Soapstone Trail-head. There is a restroom and water fountain up at the Soapstone Trail-head and also a spot-a-pot at the pond (Lost Lake), which is location at the Gristmill Trail-head. The trail itself has many small stream crossings so beware of the weather due to stream flow. This entire loop is rated for bikers and hikers so be kind and share the trail. The Soapstone section can get a bit muddy in spots due to bikers riding through the water. This loop consists of multiple trails, which are well marked but you need to follow the record track unless you wish to shorten it. One of the easiest things about this loop is that a half a mile of it is paved, which can be a great ended to an enjoyable day.

Wow, 80 degrees today and it still February. The wife decided to take a hike with me so we brought the dogs with us. Because one of our two Beagles is 12 years old we didn't want to over do it so I planned out a small 2 mile loop. Kind-a glad I did because like a dummy I had on a cotton tee shirt. Cotton makes you sweat in the summer and boy did it feel like that. The park was super crowded with other people walking their dogs. Only restroom on this loop is a Spot-A-Pot by the Lost Lake Pond. I basically live in the park and hiked over 400 miles last year. I created a map a few years ago of this complete area of the park. Message me at baltoken@yahoo.com for a copy.