New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Union Mills Trail

Union Mills Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westminster, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 826 feet Route Type: Loop

Take a rugged hike through rural northern Carroll County, slogging over creeks, through steep switchbacks, and pleasant rolling fields. The trail, which is dirt and crushed rock, plunges into a grove of pines. Then it runs along a ridge with a slight rise on the left and a steep plunge on the right. At the top of the hill, it opens up, which gives you a nice vista of woods and fields loaded with goldenrod! This hike is a great adventure! This is not a hike for new hikers due to how rugged it is. This is considered on the easy side of strenuous not because of the mileage but because of the terrain, switchbacks, and slogging over creeks.

You can’t cross this river on the north end of the loop. Otherwise a great trail

bridge out

It was difficult to get to the better walkable part of the trail from the start because there were no markers. I can’t believe someone created this non-maintained route from John Owings Rd on the App to get to the trail. This is a very rugged walking path and not a maintained trail. It is best for horseback riding. When you get to the river by foot, it’s impassable because there is no bridge to cross it, so you have no choice but to turn back....very disappointing. It was a muggy day and the path was not muddy. There are other paths that will easily take you off course and get you lost without GPS. This is not a good loop trail for a hiker. I would not recommend this course unless you are fine with one way in and back. It was 9 miles total.

closed

Completely awful trail. It was closed down completely which led to me and a friend off trail. This could had there been avoided if there was any path whatsoever to a nearby rope bridge. The lack of maintenance of this trail led to a poor experience. There are no directional signs on a trail that has tons of off shoots that must be taken to follow the trail. There are no signs anywhere. If you do not have the all trails trail recorder on you’re completely screwed. If you’re lewis and clarke, go right on ahead.

What should have been a 6.5 mile hike turned into 9.0 miles because it’s not marked very well. The terrain is great and a great workout. Just wish it was marked better.

Sat Sep 15 2018

I'm giving this three stars only because today it was a bit of a mess. This is really a horse trail. This time of year there are places that are very overgrown, and the trails are more like wildlife paths. The worst part was that the trail connections aren't there anymore. Saw Mill Road west to Saw Mill Road trail was blocked by tree trunks and debris from bulldozer cleanup (we were hoping to get to loop 2 and back to Hashawa). So instead, we continued through the zig zags, a ground wasp nest (ouch)and was stopped by the Big Pike Creek. I don't know if this is normally walkable, but it definitely wasn't crossable by foot today. We have had a lot of rain, so it was very deep, and there was no bridge in sight. We had to double back , and after three hours of hiking, we just had a friend pick us up, lol! See my uploaded photo.

Mon Jun 25 2018

fun hike, lots of different scenery from tall forests on sloped hills to dense bushes and valleys. this loop is actually a few different trails, so the markings were inconsistent and we kept checking the map. some muddy spots but nothing bad. there is a spot where you have to wade through Big Pipe Creek. there was no bridge so we found a shallow spot to cross. we also had to walk along the road for a bit. there are lots of branching trails and shortcuts that I will most likely take next time. overall it was a cool hike, good elevation changes and nice views

Sat Apr 14 2018

The trail wasn’t very scenic and was pretty muddy. If you count the mud piles from wheel spins maybe you could get some climbing in.

Wed Apr 11 2018

if you don't stick with this route, there are many more that offer a better hike

Wed Mar 14 2018

I wouldn't rate this as rugged or strenuous. The walking surface, although muddy in places, is actually pleasant compared to other trails I've been on. The terrain is rolling with any steep sections being short bursts. The most difficult part of this hike was crossing the streams on a chilly March day. I would suggest extra socks and shoes for the crossings unless you're on a bike or horse.

Sun Dec 03 2017

Great hike

Sun Oct 08 2017

I love this place. The trail and scenery constantly change. Not light smooth hiking but that just adds to the fun. A lot of trails that aren't on the map but I like that actually. Makes it more fun to explore. Just be sure to bring your compass

Sun Jul 16 2017

Lots of Hills which was not so bad but Too many rocks for Barefoot horse

Sat Jul 15 2017

Not very well marked, and the map here does not inclue a lot of the existing trails. Nonetheless, it was nice hike.

Fri Jul 14 2017

Beautiful scenery but trail is overgrown in parts. Also full trail not shown in alltrails app. Creek crossing deep and very muddy.

Tue Nov 29 2016

TH is on John ownings road, before you reach the Hashawa entrance. I enjoyed doing this as a night hike,once you get through the pine trees,the rest is pretty straight forward. Not sure I would rate this as a moderate hike,closer to easy. That's just my personal opinion. For a quick hike fix this works.

Tue Nov 15 2016

Closed Monday Wednesday and Friday Sept 1st through Feb 15th. Just a heads up. A bit disappointed I couldn't go today.

Sat Apr 16 2016

Sun Apr 03 2016

One of my favorite trails in Carroll Co. Wear tall boots so you can traverse the streams. It gets muddy.

Wed Sep 03 2014

Come to a road and the green trail just stops. instead of turning back around, go left and you will see the bird sanctuary. The trail blazes are now white and takes you to the bear branch nature center

Sat Apr 19 2014

Hike was nice but river crossing is required. Water was to deep to wade so we went upstream to cross over on a fallen tree. No breathtaking views but lots of nature. Markers were ok, used phone for navigation.

Sat Oct 26 2013

Followed trail to Saw Mill following 'The Boulevard' and return taking a section called the lower trail. The tracker for this app called it 5 miles. This is a great trail and I am stunned by how few people take advantage of it. There is also parking at Saw Mill. To me two hours and twenty minutes to do this trail. I use trekking poles which I find helpful on hills and rough ground. Oh yeah saw lots of deer and a few horses

Tue May 28 2013

Great Trail close to my house. Not to difficult. There are a couple of hills that are a little steep. You can take quite a few different directions that make a little different each time. My dog loves it!