Union Mills Trail

Union Mills Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westminster, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take a rugged hike through rural northern Carroll County, slogging over creeks, through steep switchbacks, and pleasant rolling fields. The trail, which is dirt and crushed rock, plunges into a grove of pines. Then it runs along a ridge with a slight rise on the left and a steep plunge on the right. At the top of the hill, it opens up, which gives you a nice vista of woods and fields loaded with goldenrod! This hike is a great adventure! This is not a hike for new hikers due to how rugged it is. This is considered on the easy side of strenuous not because of the mileage but because of the terrain, switchbacks, and slogging over creeks.

The trail wasn’t very scenic and was pretty muddy. If you count the mud piles from wheel spins maybe you could get some climbing in.

if you don't stick with this route, there are many more that offer a better hike

I wouldn't rate this as rugged or strenuous. The walking surface, although muddy in places, is actually pleasant compared to other trails I've been on. The terrain is rolling with any steep sections being short bursts. The most difficult part of this hike was crossing the streams on a chilly March day. I would suggest extra socks and shoes for the crossings unless you're on a bike or horse.

Great hike

I love this place. The trail and scenery constantly change. Not light smooth hiking but that just adds to the fun. A lot of trails that aren't on the map but I like that actually. Makes it more fun to explore. Just be sure to bring your compass

Lots of
Hills which was not so bad but
Too many rocks for
Barefoot horse

Not very well marked, and the map here does not inclue a lot of the existing trails. Nonetheless, it was nice hike.

Beautiful scenery but trail is overgrown in parts. Also full trail not shown in alltrails app. Creek crossing deep and very muddy.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

TH is on John ownings road, before you reach the Hashawa entrance.
I enjoyed doing this as a night hike,once you get through the pine trees,the rest is pretty straight forward.
Not sure I would rate this as a moderate hike,closer to easy.
That's just my personal opinion.
For a quick hike fix this works.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Closed Monday Wednesday and Friday Sept 1st through Feb 15th. Just a heads up. A bit disappointed I couldn't go today.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

One of my favorite trails in Carroll Co. Wear tall boots so you can traverse the streams. It gets muddy.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Come to a road and the green trail just stops. instead of turning back around, go left and you will see the bird sanctuary. The trail blazes are now white and takes you to the bear branch nature center

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Took this trail yesterday. The address listed under directions, 307 John Owings Rd , is a bad address. That is someone's house. Make the left on Hashawah Rd, park at lot on left and the trail starts to the left of Lake Hashawa.. There are a number of trails to take, yellow blazes, white blazes. The trail that comes past the injured bird sanctuary is green blazes, the Vista Trail.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Hike was nice but river crossing is required. Water was to deep to wade so we went upstream to cross over on a fallen tree. No breathtaking views but lots of nature. Markers were ok, used phone for navigation.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Followed trail to Saw Mill following 'The Boulevard' and return taking a section called the lower trail. The tracker for this app called it 5 miles. This is a great trail and I am stunned by how few people take advantage of it. There is also parking at Saw Mill. To me two hours and twenty minutes to do this trail. I use trekking poles which I find helpful on hills and rough ground. Oh yeah saw lots of deer and a few horses

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Great Trail close to my house. Not to difficult. There are a couple of hills that are a little steep. You can take quite a few different directions that make a little different each time. My dog loves it!

Thursday, July 26, 2012

This is a great trail. Easy to find and follow. Couple big hills but nothing to difficult. Took my 13 & 10 yr old daughters and it was easy for them. We will go back with our dogs. We saw some people on horse back there.
We started the trail at John Owings Rd and followed it to the end at Saw Mill Rd, turned around and came back. Took us two hours.

recorded s Nevena Westm. Union Mills