Union Dam Trail

easy 93 reviews

Union Dam Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ellicott City, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 226 feet Route Type: Out & Back

short but steep hike going down to the river. there is a trail across the train tracks that goes up to overlook if want to add distance. not much of a view at top. BEWARE active train tracks.

just did this trail again today. Some maintenance had been done on the trail and it looks marked (by pink flags) for more. The section of trail running parallel to the train tracks has been mostly cleared of excessive vegetation, roots, and downed trees. The steep climb/ascent leading to/from the water access is now easier to walk with the inclusion of many new steps and with that one tree where you had to basically climb up the one, huge, step is now gone. Saw no trains today and the rocks along the trail we're slippery.

I could not easily find the trail head and don’t think that parts of the trail were that well marked. There are a lot of shoot off trails due to it being a highly trafficked choice. Overall I had a lot of fun and it was easy enough to follow.

Easy for family and dog.

What we walked of the trail was enjoyable and the water is easily accessible, but we never did pick up the trail again by the railroad tunnel and felt it could have been better marked. We walked along the tracks and turned around and retraced our steps. Hiking shoes are preferred as there are some steep areas-we hadn’t planned to hike and were wearing running shoes which were fine since it was dry. Bring a bag so you can pick up trash as there was plenty. We will be back to figure out the loop.

Went on a Sunday it was very busy and people don’t pick up after themselves so more trash than I like to see. But all in all a nice short hike.

Recommend for a good, quick hike. My border collie loved the trail and getting near the river. Bit steep in some parts, but added a nice challenge. Very shady the whole way. $2 honor code parking close by.

As usual, a nice quick evening hike. Trail was empty, which was nice. Becoming overgrown in some places but not too bad. The trail is fairly easy but for those out of shape it could be strenuous at times. you also need to watch your footing; rocks, branches/roots are common. A bonus: sooner rather than later a train will come by. I looped the trail twice and saw two trains.

Nice easy hike on a weekday afternoon. Loved being near the water!

Sun Dec 02 2018

Short trail. I recommend walking down to the bridge. But that walk back up is a killer.

Mon Jul 16 2018

Easy and short trail but there are 1-2 steep areas where heavier set individuals may have trouble with footing.

Wed Jul 11 2018

Pretty easy trail, wonderful views of the river and even some spots that you can get down on the banks. I guess people can swim there since there were a lot of sandals and trash thrown around on some areas. We took the trail further down than what was on the app and found some nicer spots to view the river from. Overall my 6 year old had no problems. The way back up was a little rough since we were so hot but it wasn't to bad. I don't know how easy it would be if it had just rained as it seems like it would be hard due to the steepness of some areas so it probably gets slippery.

Thu Jun 21 2018

I agree with the other reviews that this trail is more on the moderate end, especially if you're caught in the rain while on it like me. I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath going back up. Overall a good trail, just be prepared.

Sun Mar 04 2018

It’s more of a moderate trail rather than easy because the walk back up is terrible

Thu Sep 07 2017

Not sure about the easy rating. Someone like myself who is out of shape found the hill back up a little tough. I may have come back up on a different trail though. Lol. Cool trail though. Water is awesome and the railroad tracks are cool.

recorded Union Dam Trail