Thurston Griggs to Appalachain Trail to Black Rock

Thurston Griggs to Appalachain Trail to Black Rock is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Myersville, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

From White Oak Dr, Hagerstown, MD to Black Rock Summit

We went to Md for this hike with yankee selena zach and jesse and myself and zach and cade! we loved this hike!

This was a fun trail! It’s all uphill so the kids will sleep great that night.

Directions: the trailhead is at the end of a residential street. If you’re anything like me, you might be skeptical of whether you’re headed in the right direction. Not to worry, park at the end of it. The trail starts there at the parking lot. The open area with a bunch of trails going off in different directions is private property. When you get to the camp area, make a right on the AT. This will take you to Black Rock Cliff.

Speaking of private property, I’m assuming there are hunters nearby (depending on the time of year). Be advised. We saw many many clumps of deer fur and blood along the trail. Be safe.

There was a copperhead snake near the overlook so be alert and keep dogs on leashes.

Nice hike. Was a picture perfect day so there were many others with the same idea. As noted by other hikers, a nice climb to the ridge/AT with loose rocks so poles are of value there. View was expansive and I imagine on a clear day you could see WVA quite well. Went a bit further to Annapolis Rock with another great view but again, pretty traveled if you prefer solitude. A cold beer afterwards always makes a nice ending to a good hike! (That you have to bring along in a cooler, friends)

Views from Black Rock Cliff are amazing! Much better then Annapolis Rock and we only saw 2 other people on the trail until we made it to Annapolis rock.

Did this trail yesterday on a beautiful fall day. Learned that my car's (Toyota) nav system can take GPS lat and long coordinates and got me to the trailhead without issue. This is knowledge that will come in handy in the future. I added a couple miles by continuing south on the AT to Annapolis Rock (about a mile from Black Rock so 2 extra miles round trip) for additional views. The views from both "rocks" were very nice. Also hiked a mile north of the Thurston Griggs trail junction on the AT to add another couple miles. No views in that stretch but it was not at all crowded - didn't see a single other person. The climb up is rocky but only moderately steep by the standards of the area - the climb up to the South Mountain ridge at, say, Weaverton Cliffs is definitely significantly steeper. Once you're to the top the hike is a breeze - there's a gentle roll but no significant climbs from the trail junction to Annapolis Rock.

Great hike. Amazing view. Good for dogs going up but down was a challenge as there are loose rocks. Easy to get lost as there are several trails and no maps

This trail needs removed as the description is misleading. It's the same as thurston grigs, just the mileage doesn't include the overlook or anything worth seeing. There is no waterfall either.

Bring bug spray. Hiked morning of 8/19. Trail is mostly shaded with a few patches of sun. Saw a bobcat on the trail just below the cabin. Also saw a TIMBER RATTLESNAKE sunning itself on the cliff overlook rocks. Just be careful around there.

It was pretty steep at first but it was still a very fun hike.

A nice soothing Trickling stream is next to Trail until u hit AT.

nice incline from trailhead. campsite has privy and well maintained, taking some of the unmarked trails lead to some rocks to climb on with views. continued to annapolis rocks for lunch and headed back soon after. I suggest tacking that onto the hike as it's not much further. somewhat rocky as well

This is a short but sweet trail. It is well marked and maintained. Even though we did this hike in the rain, the trail was not muddy at all. We did cross the stream a few times. The streamflow was not too much to cross.

I had a great time on this hike! I just got this app and as a lone amateur hiker sometimes I find myself feeling intimidated looking at maps hoping I don't get lost. This app helps with that problem.

The first half of this trek on the Thurston trail is pretty uphill with lots of rocks. Also a couple easy stream crossings. Wear socks and shoes that can handle a bit of water. Once you hit the AT you turn right and it smooths out quite a bit.

Follow the white blazes and you'll eventually see a small sign for 'Black Rock Cliffs.' There are a couple oversights to see the view from. I moved to a different spot to avoid some teenage boys.

We hiked to a scenic overlook via one of the side trails. We were a little off trail, but it was still a nice view when we got to the top of the mountain.

Great moderate hike to breathtaking overlooks.

Great trail but this is actually Thurston Griggs trail. It links to the Appalachian and you can follow it to back rock overlook. When taking this trail you go right to continue to the overlook. It's very steep and rocky but great fun!

fun beautiful well traveled trail. easy to moderate difficulty.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Great view, trail is rocky and with foliage on it, slippery. We loved it!

Monday, October 17, 2016