Switchback Trail

Switchback Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marriottsville, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Ellicott City, MD: Travel west along Interstate 70 several miles taking exit 83. Head north approximately 4 miles on Marriottsville Road to reach the state park entrance. Parking is available immediately after the contact station.

Nice trail system and well marked. There are 3 restrooms with water but you do have a section for 2 miles without any. The Plantation trail is all up or down pending your direction and runs for 1 1/2 miles. Anyway you look at it, you are parking on top of the Mountain. The easy trails are the ones that run along the river but getting to them is a bit of a workout. (Hikers Beware) I found 3 ticks crawling on me and the trails are not even overgrown. Maybe they are falling from the trees. I saw 2 Big Bucks down by the river near the horse trail then I saw 2 Doe with their fawns near the main parking lot as I was leaving. The sun was just going down when I left the Park.

Easy, scenic and not crowded.

maybe the most invasive species I've seen in one place. lots of mountain bikers and horseback riders.

if you go hiking here please wash your boots before you go anywhere else to hike.

Nice trail, very crowded on weekends.

I'd say it's a light moderate trail. We took our 4 kids, small dog and my mother in law. I do think it must be further than 3.8 miles. Make sure you play in the river a bit!