Sweathouse Branch West Side Trail

Sweathouse Branch West Side Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kingsville, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Trail with a refreshing swimming hole near the end. This loop follows the upland forests of the fall zone, crossing a few easy streams (pretty much non-existent in the winter) and visiting a pleasant waterfall, then meanders downstream along Big Gunpowder Falls as it leaves the piedmont. Watching Big Gunpowder Falls sliding through several narrow gorges, it is hard to believe that only 5 miles downstream the falls will spread to a delta-like, broad river more than a mile wide.

nice hoke through the woods. a couple stream crossings as well

Laid back and fairly easy.

Nice hike!

Interesting trail with different tree stands and topography. Nice swimming hole, for those inclined.

Pretty nice trail though lots of mud so be sure to bring the right shoes.

Many of the Trails today were quite muddy. Frogs everywhere on the Stocksdale river side Trail. I took a wrong turn off the Sweathouse Trail and had to do a little less then a mile of Brazing to re-connect. Thanks for GPS and All/Trails App. and I was right back on track. Beware of a game trail right before the Long Green Creek section.

Ran all except the Wildlands section as part of a training route I prepared for half marathon trail racing. Some very challenging uphills. Very scenic! Only downside were some unleashed dogs w/ owners...two of which ran away from owners towards me and barked, even though I had stopped...kinda scary!

I have never hiked this area before because I live in the Patapsco State Park (Avalon) and hike there daily. The only natural trail in this loop that I was pleased with was the Wildlands Trail section. I truly enjoyed the smell of all the Pine Trees. This trail is all natural. The trail along the river is covered in white rock due to heavy traffic and the tons of mud puddles. The Stocksdale trail up into the forest is a long flat incline then the trail gets very rock probably due to erosion. Yes, The trails are Well Marked but not the split trails up top. You need to know the colors of some trails first. I can see this area getting super crowded on Weekends. I did enjoy the hike but then again it was early Wednesday morning. Nice wide trail so ticks may not be a problem there.

Great hiking trail. Well marked. Lots of people and dogs. Runs along river. Saw ducks and deer. Easy nice 5 mi hike

Nice hike along the river and through the rolling hills. Trail is heavily used, we saw numerous people out early on a cold February morning. Must get very crowded on a nice spring/summer weekend day.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Fun trail, mostly clearly marked and well maintained, even in January.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Beautiful fall day. Well marked trail

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Tried out yesterday afternoon and enjoyed this trail. The trail is blazed, but at times not very well. Without the map on here I would have easily gotten lost. One trail even changed blaze color part way through. We started on the woodland section of the trail first and we only saw 2 other people on that portion of the trail, so it was nice and quiet. The section along the river was more popular and we saw probably a dozen people in all. A few steep sections, but mostly flat trail or sloping hills.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Mid-June, Saturday about 9:30am to 12. Nicely maintained trail, clearly but rather sparsely blazoned. I walked it counterclockwise, so the first half was all uphill. Some challenging elevations, easy downhill, nice river walk to end it. Passed some polite parents with their kids, a bus full of fast walking seniors, a couple trail runners, one bird watcher.

Saturday, November 07, 2015

Nice variety of scenery, easier than expected.

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Beautiful and a great location just northeast of the city. Not too crowded on a summer Saturday and will definitely do it again. Next time we'll plan to grab a drink afterward at the gunpowder lodge just across from the parking lot after our hike.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Most of the trails are wide, clear, and well blazed. We hiked clockwise and lost the trail on the west side after crossing the creek, but picked it up later. Next time I'll go CCW. The interior loops allow you to shorten or lenghten your trek without too much backtracking. Not crowded, especially once you get away from the parking lot.

Friday, December 26, 2014

Very nice park, very busy. There is an underpass for hikers/bikers to cross under very busy road. We turned right after the underpass and if you want to do the whole 4.8 miles, you make rights at every split. You loop around and the last mile is along the river(and is flat). well maintained, there were a lot of people at first but as we went farther out we were alone. Moderate hills, well marked and well maintained. very pretty along sweet water branch. A little off the marked trail you can get to the confluence of the sweet water branch and the big gunpowder river. very interesting sand beaches.

Will go back in the summer and go straight to the confluence and have a picnic with the kids.

Thursday, November 07, 2013

My favorite trail in this part of the park. Takes you pretty far back into the woods. You wind up hiking into a sizable gorage then looping back to the parking lot. Very quiet after you get back into the trees.