Sugarloaf Mountain and Northern Peaks Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dickerson, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Stronghold, Inc. 301-874-2024

Beautiful views on the blue trail! We got a little turned around at the white rock viewpoint but eventually found our way back to the trail. Would definitely hike this trail again!

We hiked the blue trail and it was a lovely hike!

Nice variety of trail loops with same great views.

Good trail, good view. But too many mosquitoes, and the markers are inapparent and confusing.

very nice trail, ample parking to be had. went on a sunday morning and the main area/main overlook was PACKED. if you want some time to yourself and pictures i suggest going off weekend. once you get out of the main overlook the trails are good and much less congested. the two overlooks in the back had no one there and i was able to eat lunch solo. sugarloaf also gets points for trail markers along the trails not just at the crossroads. that was a nice touch.

Beautiful nature but poorly marked blazes on parts of the blue trail. At one point we may not have been on the trail at all as the path was very overgrown and narrow on the east side of the mountain.

Good level of challenging, some steep parts but such a well made path it was no problem. Ample parking (with video security), free (with donations recommended), great views and different path options. Overall great hike!

Great hike. Fairly easy, but White Rocks( north and south) has scenic views. I will agree some of the markings(blazes) were difficult to see. My wife and I did lose the trail at one point. However, given this property is part of a foundation, I am very thankful we have access to it. Worth the hike.

The blue trail is beautiful and rugged. It is poorly marked in one spot. We took the wrong path and had to back track. We came across a Timber Rattlesnake on the trail.

The Blue Trail was an enjoyable but challenging walk in the woods. I found myself going up and down a lot. The trail markings were a bit confusing at first and it can be pretty easy to go off the trail if you're not careful. It wasn't too hot considering it was mid July when I did this. I had fun spotting all the different granite intrusions in the rocks. The summit at White Rocks was breathtaking.

Park is beautiful but the lack of adequate blazes and trail markers sadly makes me rate this loop 2 stars.

the trails get poorly marked as you go further in. we completely missed a turn off for the blue trail and wasted a lot of time. it was disappointing not being able to do the full loop as originally planned. we might try another day

A great way to escape Maryland's liberal bullshit.

Great hike with great views! Pick up map when you enter park. Orange trail is steep, but short (0.25 mile), climb to summit of Sugarloaf at 1,282 ft elevation. (Climb from parking lot is around 400 feet.) Many surrounding trails allow you to customize your hike and length. I did this trail as mapped out to Northern Peak and White Rocks. Most of the hike, except for the steep Orange Trail climb, is easy. Beautiful Mountain Laurel on the trail, nice scenery around, mostly shaded. Would definitely do this hike again!

Quick and easy hike with beautiful views. Went two Friday afternoons ago and the parking lot was almost empty.

Great hike for hikers seeking a drastic elevation climb.

About halfway through this hike I was saying it should have been rated easy... by the end I was completely exhausted! I am training for a backpacking trip so I did this hike with a 25-30 pound backpack on which made the incline portions pretty difficult. It was great practice and a beautiful hike. Towards the end we came across a parking lot and thought we were at the end but it was not the west view parking lot and that made the last mile or so much harder. We also got off the trail a couple of times but always found our way back without too much trouble. We went on a beautiful spring day and there weren't too many people on the trail.

We started in the East View parking lot and went up the orange trail to see the peak of sugar loaf (steep, but quick) from there we made our way to the blue trail to go out to White Rocks look out (somehow got sidetracked off the blue trail for awhile...). Then we continued on the blue (then white) trail to get back to the parking lot. Nice and steady up and down, so never felt too strenuous. Arrived around 9:30 and wasn’t too crowded; by the time we were leaving (1:30) it was quite crowded. If we go again we might start down at the entrance gate in order to have more of an elevation climb.

Super crowded. Nice hike but way too many people there.

This trail loop does not ease up at end so get ready for some serious hike. Initial climb onto top via orange trail is tough but its short so if you have some endurance its no problem. Rest of hike through the blue trail is fairly easy until the end of blue trail . Then you hit the green trail and start climbing to top again when your legs are starting to feel it..

Agree with others on view - its nice but not spectacular as Maryland Height Harper's Ferry hike. Also agree regarding trail markings.. its there but you at some junctions its confusing and could be better. Some part of blue trail uses dark blue paint markings while other part uses light blue markings.. it can be confusing but dark and light blue markings on trees denote the same blue trail.

Great work out and overall, i'd say its on strenuous side of moderate if you follow the trail map given here. Took 2 hr 40 minutes on nice partly sunny day.

Trail wasn't marked very well in some spots. Make sure to park in the west view lot as that is where the tail starts and ends. There are some areas that aren't marked very well and some how we ended up getting turned around some where in between marker B5 and B6 and double backed. We didn't realize it until we hit a cross section again. While we didn't get to see White Rock we will go back and try again on another day. All in all the kids (5 and 12) and the dog enjoyed it. Tough with kids in some parts, but they have been hiking for a long time so it wasn't too bad.

The change in terrain and scenery was fun and challenging. The view was beautiful. The trail is definitely not marked as well as what I’m used to and we got a little turned around and confused, accidentally branching off onto a different trail at one point. It could have just been the day we went, but we did not encounter a ton of people on this trail, just occasionally. That made the hike more enjoyable.

Nice easy walk, great views at White Rocks. The scenery around the trail is really nice. There's a lot of parking available too.

Due to bad road conditions on the mountain I had to park on a field off of Comus Rd. This allowed me to incorporate more of the Mountain Loop Trail to the summit adding a little over 3 miles to the loop. Thankfully, it was just snow, so the trails weren't too treacherous. The markers at the summit can get confusing. Some trails leading off the summit are way easier to walk down than others. I can't wait to retry this extended loop when it gets a bit warmer.

The tough-but-not-backbreaking difficulty here was the best part. Views are indeed great, but I did think they were a hair overblown; the hype had me expecting something on par with Harper's Ferry.

Easy to get confused - markings are just ok, and with multiple places to park, you might get turned around without a plan. However, driving the loop and stopping several times could very well get you nearly a whole day well-spent here. You're not supposed to gawk at the mansions on the way down, but I did, and I have no regrets.

Very calming views and too much color for the eyes

Friday, October 06, 2017

My dog and us all loved it! Nice hike in the woods with several good view points!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

We hiked a combination of trails at Sugarloaf for a total of 9 miles. The views are great all around but we ran into several people on the trails who got turned around. The marking system is sufficient but could use a updating. It was a beautiful day and a wonderful and semi-challenging hike it provided diverse terrain and just enough flat to give knees and ankles respite

Monday, September 18, 2017

Trail provided diverse terrain and changing scenery. The inclines created a moderate level of difficulty with plenty of easy portions intermixed.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Been planning to do this trail for several years but wanted to wait for a weekday when I was off work and fewer people were around as I've read other reviews saying how popular this place is. Parked in the East lot after winding my way up the roads. I actually thought to myself after driving up near the top "well this stinks. I wanted to climb to the top, not drive". Took the orange trail up the top and was instantly grateful that I got a head start by car. Initial scramble up the top was tough but not impossible. And frankly it paled in comparison to the strenuousness of the full 7 miles I did. Lots up ups and downs with 300' elevation changes each time. Great scenery, awesome workout, and beautiful trail. Only missed one blaze but caught it before I got too far down the incline.