Sugarloaf Mountain and Northern Peaks Trail

Sugarloaf Mountain and Northern Peaks Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dickerson, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Stronghold, Inc. 301-874-2024

Due to bad road conditions on the mountain I had to park on a field off of Comus Rd. This allowed me to incorporate more of the Mountain Loop Trail to the summit adding a little over 3 miles to the loop. Thankfully, it was just snow, so the trails weren't too treacherous. The markers at the summit can get confusing. Some trails leading off the summit are way easier to walk down than others. I can't wait to retry this extended loop when it gets a bit warmer.

The tough-but-not-backbreaking difficulty here was the best part. Views are indeed great, but I did think they were a hair overblown; the hype had me expecting something on par with Harper's Ferry.

Easy to get confused - markings are just ok, and with multiple places to park, you might get turned around without a plan. However, driving the loop and stopping several times could very well get you nearly a whole day well-spent here. You're not supposed to gawk at the mansions on the way down, but I did, and I have no regrets.

Very calming views and too much color for the eyes

My dog and us all loved it! Nice hike in the woods with several good view points!

We hiked a combination of trails at Sugarloaf for a total of 9 miles. The views are great all around but we ran into several people on the trails who got turned around. The marking system is sufficient but could use a updating. It was a beautiful day and a wonderful and semi-challenging hike it provided diverse terrain and just enough flat to give knees and ankles respite

Trail provided diverse terrain and changing scenery. The inclines created a moderate level of difficulty with plenty of easy portions intermixed.

Been planning to do this trail for several years but wanted to wait for a weekday when I was off work and fewer people were around as I've read other reviews saying how popular this place is. Parked in the East lot after winding my way up the roads. I actually thought to myself after driving up near the top "well this stinks. I wanted to climb to the top, not drive". Took the orange trail up the top and was instantly grateful that I got a head start by car. Initial scramble up the top was tough but not impossible. And frankly it paled in comparison to the strenuousness of the full 7 miles I did. Lots up ups and downs with 300' elevation changes each time. Great scenery, awesome workout, and beautiful trail. Only missed one blaze but caught it before I got too far down the incline.

pleasantly surprised by elevation changes and the views from the white rocks.

This hike was a bit rough at parts because of the intense incline, but once we made it to the top, it was all worth it.

Enjoyable Trail busy for the first mile than wide open

Great set of trails. Lots of combinations, I can go back and do a different path. Get there early!

I made the mistake as a beginner and selected the Orange Trail. I hiked less than a mile and was done because the incline was too steep for me. Other than that I look forward to trying the other trails.

Good

I mean, it's aight. Not too much of a hike but still fun to do with friends. We found this one random dude who wanted to look for a cave off the cliff so we went rock climbing on the side. Was actually pretty cool.

It is a beautiful trail but I would rate it as hard not moderate because it is rocky and going up for the majority of the 6 miles.

Lots of different trails with nice views and difficulty levels.

The hike to the east view summit was pretty short and the view itself was okay, nothing too awe inspiring as the view includes factories and houses. It was very busy and heavily trafficked as well.

Great hike up the mountain! And of course a beautiful view!

some of the other reviews complained the trails weren't well marked. I. disagree. while the blue diamonds at white rocks were a little confusing -- they designate a spur while blue rectangles Mark the main trail -- the trails are nicely blazed, with posts at intersections with other trails

lots of beautiful blooming rhododendrons this time of year. the views don't compare to the Berkshire mountains, where I have been hiking in recent years, but it is a good amount of challenge at the beginning of hiking season, and the woods and ferns are lovely

very busy on a cloudy, mild Sunday, but probably less than Billy goat trail.

I knew from the beginning it was going to push my boundaries. however we conquered the summit and the blue trail. 6.1 miles and 1,381 feet high. was a great challenge basically all straight up or down. was amazing