Sugarloaf Mountain and Northern Peaks Trail

Sugarloaf Mountain and Northern Peaks Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Dickerson, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,512 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Note: If you get there before 8 am the gates will be closed and you can either park right there where the gates are or go down the road to the left and park in front of the field to the left.

Good views! We started on the orange trail for about .5 miles and then it randomly turned into blue for the rest of it making it hard and kind of annoying to follow. Having the map on here was super helpful!

An excellent hike. Near the parking spots there were a lot of people but once you get further out, it’s quiet. Incredible views! Light bouldering throughout with mostly incline / decline trails.

Cool hike but waaaaaay too many people here.

Nice trail. We parked in the West View parking lot, you will thank yourself for parking here. You avoid an uphill climb up a paved road. Form the lot, we took the green trail to the red trail to McCormack Overlook, then took the Blue Trail B2-B6 to White Rocks overlook, then the Blue trail B7-B10. It took about 5 hrs for a moderately fit/slightly overweight person. Lots of rocks to scramble. Make sure to wear hiking boots with ankle support. Being enough water and electrolytes. Total mileage with a few diversions took about 7-9 miles. Lots of ups and downs. Overall a wonderful hike.

Very nice trail, with plenty of shade. Several pretty scenes in the woods, especially with ferns and other ground cover. We had lunch at White Rocks and enjoyed the view - go to the northern view for fewer people. On the way back, we took a left onto the Mountain Loop Trail and followed that around to East View Parking instead of going back over the top. Same total distance, but much less climbing and descending. Kudos to the park staff - the trails were very well marked and easy to follow.

Well maintained and well marked trail with lots of options to shorten or lengthen hike along the way. I took red blazes to green to blue to yellow (horse trail less rocky) back to blue then finally white for easy descent back to parking. A few spectacular views plus not at all busy on a Friday morning in early August. Only reason I didn’t give this hike 5 stars is because it’s so rocky I was always watching my feet rather than enjoying the scenery. Would be great for kids plenty of smooth boulders to scramble onto.

A relatively short and pleasant hike with some nice views.

Really good trail, the 2 main view points are amazing. Suggest going early to avoid crowd. Got there about 7:45 parked by the west view parking lot - field. Bring a good bit of water, I went thru 2liters.

start at the west view lot to avoid the nasty decent on the orange trail ... this makes it a loop with no repeats.

Took the white trail to the blue trail stopping at White rocks. Then followed the blue back....Well marked trails, lots of ankle high rocks "use good ankle support hiking boots"...took about 4.5 hours and needed more than the 18oz of water carried on this hot day.

It was a nice day with my group going up the mountain. We stopped for a break at White Rock. Unfortunately, I fell and twisted my ankle some time later. Fortunately, some members of my group knew first aid, patched me up and after 2.5 miles downhill was able to get picked up. My ankle was feeling better by then. I wish I could've complete the hike with the rest of my group but you can't complain too much.

The best marked trail we’ve seen. Blazes are everywhere, frequent, and noticeable. Nice views, especially from the white rocks.

Great hike! A good challenge but not too intense. A few nice views as well. Next time I’d bring bug spray. But the trails were very well maintained and well marked.

Nice moderate trail with a few steep parts.

recorded Recording - May 31, 2:44 PM

This is a very nice moderate trail with several ups and downs. I went early Friday morning so the traffic on the trail was very light. I went counter clockwise so hit the stairs going up at the end.

Great local hike, get there early if you don't like crowds because there will be people showing up after the gates open. Also, if you get there before 8 am the gates will be closed and you can either park right there where the gates are or go down the road to the left and park in front of the field to the left. You'll end up hiking a little more but avoid the crowds.

We took the white trail, lots of ups and downs but so worth it.

This trail is fairly easy. It’s a loop and we went around 3pm and it wasn’t that packed. But... that being said. There are a TON of kids. We went to the fort and felt “kicked out” because there was a kids party and the designated that “their” spot. So we weren’t able to enjoy the view. Maybe don’t go on a Saturday....? Other than that lots of dogs, easy with some hard uphill parts. Definitely try it.

Great hike with the family, easy, wide and well marked trail. If you are a seasoned hiker, this is an easy trail, not moderate.

Very fun trail that is perfect for the kiddos and doggos. I had an amazing time. The elevation made it nice and challenging and the trial itself was so easy to follow you wouldn’t even need this app. A recommendation though: if you have knee issues or any strained muscles near that area, this is not going to be fun in the downhill parts :/

Did this hike in ice/snow conditions. Views are beautiful! Trails were a little hard to follow at some spots, but haven't done this route without snow so that may be why. Incline wasn't terrible; I'd agree on the moderate rating.