Saint Mary's College Ruins

Saint Mary's College Ruins is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ilchester, Maryland and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Some struggle to find the steps leading to the trail but overall so worth going to see the altar. Be careful where you park, I got a ticket.

Okay just did this very short hike. First thing, you can’t take river road from thistle to get there. Take hilltop all the way to river road. Trail is clearly marked and heavily used. I was there around noon on a Sunday with about 10 others on the trail. The college is on a mountain top accessed by a lot of steep stairs, watch your footing. Not much remains except the skeletal dome of the alter some basements and foundations all located on the hill scattered about. High creep factor. The views of the valley, river and trestle bridge are great but I’m certain only in fall and winter. Any other time it would just be too over grown.

A fun one. Definitely a little spooky but that’s what made it cool. Enjoyed how there were a bunch of different little trails you could jut off on to.

I really liked this one!! The most challenging part is finding it. The alter is downright creepy and even though the structures were torn down they left the basements. We crawled through the holes in the ground and entered this dark empty rooms. I rated it high not for the hike, not that challenging, but for the eeriness. I believe this is private property so it may not be accessible anymore.

Great little hike fascinating ruins. Wasn’t a fan of all the graffiti.

The ruins covered in graffiti were so interesting. I loved the hike and exploring the area.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

It straight to my point.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Beautiful hike. Short but worth it. Parking is not abundant. the ruins are beautiful even as they are, defaced by graffiti. It all has an halo of mystery around. Totally worth checking it.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

absolutely amazing..well worth going to explore

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

I love this spot. There aren't any markings on the trail. I always just follow the stairs up as far as I can go and at the very top of the hill make a right. It says no dogs, but I have brought mine both times- there aren't any signs that say dogs aren't allow. Very interesting spot.

Thursday, December 28, 2017