South Branch Patapsco River Trail

South Branch Patapsco River Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sykesville, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fun “lollipop” trail. Kids had fun. Only made it to the base of the loop and had to turn around for time. Many places to throw rocks in river. Limited parking spaces.

Narrow but easy to follow trail along the Patapsco River. Mostly muddy due to endless days of rain earlier this week and last but the trail itself was clear and well used making it easy to follow. Beautiful winter hike in mild temps. Only encountered one jogger and a couple on horseback on the trail but a number of people on the river itself.

very nice hike, muddy.

good hike, a number of optional paths.

excellent hike. scenic, interesting. on the easy side. will do again.

I had been wanting to do this trail for a while, especially after enjoying the Rocky Rapids one in the same area a few months ago. Happy to report that it did not disappoint! I am adding this to my list of favorite local hikes. I think I like it a smidge more than Rocky Rapids due to it being less “crowded” (neither had many people, but this had even less) and less overgrown in spots. I hiked this 11am-1pm on Sunday 9/23/19. Note that I did this as an out and back, turning around where the loop trail is and following the river back. It was about an hour each way that way. I recognized some overlap with the Rocky Rapids trail, as I passed the actual Rocky Rapids section on both (it’s a section that’s rocky in both the river and the trail). Pros: beautiful trail overall (great river views but even sections away from the river are lovely), lightly trafficked (I passed less than a handful of people the whole time), no sounds aside from nature, good mix of flat and some elevation Cons: narrow path in most places so some overgrown spots (though not as much as some other trails in the same area), some horse poop (also not as bad as some other trails in the same area), some muddy spots (there are several small stream crossings that look like they’d always be muddy but I can see other spots getting really muddy after precipitation as it’s been really dry lately and there were still some slightly muddy spots) I didn’t bother with bug spray due it being late September, and I wasn’t bothered by bugs. I think the Rocky Rapids section wasn’t too buggy when I hiked it earlier in summer.

Great Views of river with plenty of spots to fish and dip. Muddy throughout tho and lots of bugs. Can get steep and rocky and many small stream crossings.

Sat Sep 23 2017