Sherwood and Little Gunpowder Trail Loop

Sherwood and Little Gunpowder Trail Loop is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Upper Falls, Maryland that features a great forest setting. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not sure why this is not rated better. Less crowded than Big and Little Gunpowder near Route 1. Some tree fall here and there but otherwise well maintained. Nice variety of wooded habitats. Saw heaps of different fungi after the rainy summer. Yes, I-95 is “loud” for a portion of the loop section but the Little Gunpowder is still beautiful. I liked the trail better than the previous two I mentioned. Maybe because I didn’t see any other people the whole trip. Some steep areas in the profile but so worth it- felt like I found a hidden gem!

An okay hike. Best part includes great views of the river. Worst is hiking near I-95 and the related noise. But, that does not last too long.

Only did the loop portion, it’s about 2.5 miles. My dog and I enjoyed the hike though you can hear the cars on 95 and I like a more quiet forest setting.

Monday, August 21, 2017

This trail starts in Kingsville Park on Frankinville Rd. but for some reason all trails does not find KIngsville Park. It's easy and you can take dogs although the path does get kind of narrow wheres it is washing away up over the river.

Sunday, October 16, 2016