Seneca Creek Greenway Trail Upper Section

Seneca Creek Greenway Trail Upper Section is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montgomery Village, Maryland that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

The Seneca Creek Greenway Trail follows Great Seneca Creek in Montgomery County, MD. It is a wooded, natural surface trail that extends 26 miles from the Potomac River to the Damascus Regional Park trail system. The trail is intersected by several roads, most of which have areas to park. Parking locations are noted on the map. Using these crossroads, you may tailor the distance of the hike. You may choose an out-and-back hike or a point-to-point hike if you have two cars. This is the upper section of the trail. It extends from the Watkins Mill Road crossing to the end of the existing Seneca Greenway Trail and onto the Magruder Stream Valley extension trail to the Damascus Regional Park trail.

A well-marked trail I decided to do after a torrential flood through Great Seneca Stream Valley Park, following yesterday's pouring downpours for rainstorms. Nevertheless, I moved forward the whole time except for some pics I took and the fall I will shortly explain. I got a lot of motivating speedwork in, and I reckon I got spoiled by it. I encountered illusion mud toward the end -- path dirt that looks solid and packed hard but is oh so slippery mush! During the slamming fall that resulted, I inadvertently pressed "stop" on my recorded track about 1/2 mile from the end of my out-n-back. I was a muddy mess, but I'm good with that.

Its a great trail, but not so good after a flood, and if you don't like getting muddied up.

Germantown Rd to Rifle Ford Rd 2.5 miles. Great network of trails but I was disappointed in how overgrown this section of the trail is and how very poorly it is marked in this section.

Great trail; consistent light blue blazes on trees just above eye-level; good trail markers (posts) with directional signage, good trail condition and fabulous views of the creek and forests. Perfect day to see fields of wild flowers and enjoy the fragrance of the flowering bushes. Plenty of bird activity with woodpeckers, towhees, , flickers, and a Great Blue Heron in the creek. Some hills, too.

Well maintained. Lots of fun.

Nice trail, easy hiking and biking. We only did the partial trail from Brink to Watkins Mill. At Watkins Mill it becomes a sidewalk, rather than a trail. The trail is popular, so we looked for an off peak time over Labor Day.

Good mix of hills, rocks, roots and gliding trail. No one else on trail. Great time

Sunday, August 21, 2016