Trails.com is merging with AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Sawmill Branch Trail to Buzzards Rock Loop

MODERATE 20 reviews
#42 of 70 trails in

Sawmill Branch Trail to Buzzards Rock Loop is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Catonsville, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 246 feet Route Type: Loop

dogs on leash

kid friendly

hiking

nature trips

running

forest

river

views

wildlife

This is the most unique trail loop in theHilltop, Hilton area of the state park. The Buzzards Rock Overlook trail has a great view of the valley and river below. One end of the Overlook Trail is a very rocky cliff that you have to climb up or down pending direction. The Saw Mill Trail is a very enjoyable rock hop on flat boulders along the feeder stream.Some sections are very rocky so be sure to wear shoes that protect and support your ankles. Trekking Poles are recommended.

over grown
scramble
4 months ago

Great short hike! 90% of it was wide, well-used dirt or gravel. The other 10% is just enough to give a sense of adventure! There were some parts where the labeling wasnt clear, a handful of downed trees across the path, and the lowest point is a scramble up some rocks/along the creek. If you're going to bring the dog, make sure you have a bit of a longer leash for the steep parts so you don't wind up dragging each other off balance.

hiking
muddy
rocky
7 months ago

The Sawmill and Buzzards Rock Overlook trails are OPEN. Only the Grist Mill is CLOSED. - You can access this loop from up top at S. Hilltop Rd. or you could park in the Hilton area tire park and hike down the Santee Branch trail which connects at the stream. - I recommend you going down the Buzzards Rock Overlook trail then hike up the Sawmill. - A good portion of these trails are very rocky and loaded with boulders you have to hop over so I also recommend hiking poles. Only a few sections were muddy due to the weather. - During the summer the trails are always high and dry.

hiking
muddy
washed out
8 months ago

This is a moderate to highly trafficked trail. This is exacerbated by the fact other trails are currently closed nearby. Parts of the trail are gravel, including large gravel that this not great to walk on. At this time, it is quite muddy through portions. There are large changes in elevation as well as parts where it is best to walk on rocks along or through the stream. There are a couple portions that are difficult to follow.

9 months ago

Only did about half of this because my son started to get a little antsy. But the first half was a nice easy trail, good for kids and pets. Understand that it does get somewhat more steep as you go along (or maybe that’s another off-shoot) but didn’t reach that part. Anyway, really enjoyed the first portion and definitely want to go back to finish.

11 months ago

Good trail. All the rain has washed away some of the trail though, making it steep and slippery in places. Be careful.

hiking
Monday, July 30, 2018

This is one of my fave Patapsco trails. It’s nice taking the Sawmill part under the train tracks and heading over to the water, but there’s always a lot of kind of gross people like swimming in the water when it’s warm out. I love going up the Buzzards portion of the trail because it’s straight uphill and a sick glute workout. I would not take my dogs on the Buzzards hill... but they are pugs and puggles. Buzzards has a few nice rock cliff situations that you can stop and have a snack on. I find this trail to be very lightly trafficked.

hiking
1 month ago

hiking
1 month ago

hiking
2 months ago

hiking
2 months ago

hiking
4 months ago

hiking
8 months ago

hiking
9 months ago

hiking
10 months ago

11 months ago

hiking
Saturday, July 20, 2013

Featured Trails