Saint Mary's College Ruins

moderate 49 reviews

Saint Mary's College Ruins is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ellicott City, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 216 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Interesting to see the scattered ruins and explore the little trails and loops. I didn’t see any signs saying no dogs - I brought mine - but do not recommend for dogs. There is a lot of broken glass in a lot of places.

Pretty easy to find the Arch. Just follow the stairs. We brought our 5 month old pup. He loved it just need to be careful of the broken glass. We had our pup wear boots for this hike. Besides that it was pretty cool! Worth seeing!

The place is great, and if you wish to see some abandoned building with different graffiti,then this is the right place to go. Compare to other trails with clear direction, some ruins in this trail may be difficult to find, so just walk around, and you will see some interesting stuff

If you love to see abandoned buildings and wonder about their past, and you like to view graffiti, then this is the trail for you! It has a lot of different pathways that jut out from it, but they all bring you around to where you need to be to see the glory that is left of Saint Mary's college. I can't wait to go back when the leaves are in. It's not a difficult trail, but initally it's a huge set of stairs that are daunting, and kind of a climb. There are lots if stairs built into the hills of the woods, and some of the trail is on what used to be a road of sorts. Definitely a lot of fun. Many people were out when we were hiking, but it was still a very quiet trail, nd a good place to reflect. While we passed a lot of hikers and their doggos, we still felt very much alone with nature.

it was pretty easy to find

Mon Jan 28 2019

Hard to find and lots of stairs! Loved seeing the chapel. You can bring your dog, but there's a lot of broken glass all over.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Okay just did this very short hike. First thing, you can’t take river road from thistle to get there. Take hilltop all the way to river road. Trail is clearly marked and heavily used. I was there around noon on a Sunday with about 10 others on the trail. The college is on a mountain top accessed by a lot of steep stairs, watch your footing. Not much remains except the skeletal dome of the alter some basements and foundations all located on the hill scattered about. High creep factor. The views of the valley, river and trestle bridge are great but I’m certain only in fall and winter. Any other time it would just be too over grown.

Wed Aug 22 2018

A fun one. Definitely a little spooky but that’s what made it cool. Enjoyed how there were a bunch of different little trails you could jut off on to.

Wed Aug 08 2018

I really liked this one!! The most challenging part is finding it. The alter is downright creepy and even though the structures were torn down they left the basements. We crawled through the holes in the ground and entered this dark empty rooms. I rated it high not for the hike, not that challenging, but for the eeriness. I believe this is private property so it may not be accessible anymore.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Great little hike fascinating ruins. Wasn’t a fan of all the graffiti.

Sat May 26 2018

The ruins covered in graffiti were so interesting. I loved the hike and exploring the area.

Sun Jan 14 2018

It straight to my point.

Sat Jan 13 2018

Beautiful hike. Short but worth it. Parking is not abundant. the ruins are beautiful even as they are, defaced by graffiti. It all has an halo of mystery around. Totally worth checking it.

Sat Nov 25 2017

absolutely amazing..well worth going to explore

Wed Oct 18 2017

I love this spot. There aren't any markings on the trail. I always just follow the stairs up as far as I can go and at the very top of the hill make a right. It says no dogs, but I have brought mine both times- there aren't any signs that say dogs aren't allow. Very interesting spot.