Perimeter Trail

Perimeter Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Upper Marlboro, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

bridge out

Unpaved and well maintained single-width path through the woods. Watch for roots, branches and other hazards. Traffic is in both directions. Lots of good elevation changes and challenges such as creek crossings without bridges. Trail is adequately marked but there are a few spots that aren't immediately clear.

This was a great and well marked trail! Almost all shaded single track so you do have to stay aware for mountain bikers and horseback riders. I went out on a rather warm Sunday around noon and only came across one other runner and two mountain bikers. My GPS tracked just under 500ft of both elevation loss and gain and I ran/hiked the loop clockwise in two hours. Will definitely be going back.

Great trail! Must look out for mountain bikers tho - they come up quick! Really great trail - easily marked.

This is a very scenic wooded trail. There are a lot of switchbacks and hairpins which adds to the overall length of the trail. It is well marked and easy to follow. The trail is quite narrow and we had to be mindful of cyclists which was not a big deal. Bring plenty of water as there are no amenities along the trail.

Love this place. Trail was still pretty muddy which equated to a quiet peaceful hike with no one else on the trail, just me and my lab. Completed it counter clockwise this time. Beautiful canopy and nice place to reset your heart and mind.

bring a compass, watch out for self centered dangerous mntn bikers who don't care if you are walking. the trails were originally designed for hunt club so you will see neat things that if you understand riding along way. But it's a great park to learn how to use a compass in. I did when I was a kid, i still get lost. great trail, just ignore the mountain bikers

Ok first! The trail is confusing in the beginning. Use your trail app GPS!! There are 3 ways to enter the trail. If you go counter clockwise you will have no problems. If you go clockwise, you will exit the trail in 5 mins, then you will have to cross this closed off parking lot then a street to enter the real beginning of the clockwise trail. This is a serious mountain biking trail. The clockwise trail is moderate. The counterclockwise loop is a bit harder.

Nice trail, lots of Bikes.

whoa this trail is horribly confusing if you're a newbie here. we felt like we were going in circles at first. going in a group can lead to chaos too because we also had to be mindful of mountain bikers. other than that the scenery is peaceful, earthy, and mild to moderately challenging. No restrooms just porta potty things and we never saw them except when leaving park.
the trail is long and we stopped at a certain point and just looped back. saw a toad, 2 turtles, bird nest, 2 lizards as far as wildlife sightings go.
people ride their horses here but they have equestrian trails if they are not on the hiking and biking trails.

Trail was in great shape, weather was perfect, and not too much traffic (mostly mountain bikes, a few walkers/runners, two horses).

We love hiking this trail. There were a few areas on trail today that were washed out due to the heavy rains. Still a great workout.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

There were a lot of bicyclers on the trail, which I did not like because it was already too narrow for 2 hikers side by side. Be sure to look down otherwise you'll trip. overall, great hike in an area that I never thought to check out.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

We took our 10 and 12 year old boys for their first intermediate ride here today. It was a very nice combination of uphills and downhills. Several of the little bridges were partially washed out, and we had to carry our bikes over a few larger fallen trees, which was pretty fun (probably just due to recent flash flooding). It was a fun and challenging course for the kids, especially with the terrain and tree roots that cover the almost 9 mile ride. Nice time, and I'll be back.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Very good trail and challenging run workout. Did a training run this morning (counterclockwise). Since its single track had a couple close calls with mountain bikers but everyone was cool/friendly! Plenty of shade, only about four very short sections without tree cover.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Excellent trail! Nice canopy. Decent elevation.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

nice day hike. did it in 3 hours.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Ok. There was a lot of mountain bikes.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Very challenging

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Nice trail for getting some miles in, not too technical - a good training loop.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Great hike, easy walk with a few ups and downs. Narrow trail is shared with mountain bikers, no issues. Didn't see many people and the ambience was quiet.

Friday, February 03, 2017

Great hike. Will come back to run it next week. Not hard. Length is the only thing that makes it Moderate.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Either I got lost, or this trail is 10.5, not 9.5. I based my morning off of one less mile and was not happy about missing a work meeting.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

As a hiker, I had a poor experience. I was continuously stepping aside as best I could to avoid large groups of mountain bikers. Trail was not clear and we managed to circle back to the start of the train twice, never getting to do the whole loop.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Did all 9 hiking today. Exhausting! Didn't even see a bug! But I like that. Probably beautiful as leaves change.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Nice, smooth, flow-y single-track - Nothing technical. There are a few climbs, but nothing long and/or crazy steep. It can be dangerous as visibility is low and some people decide to hike/bike counter clockwise. But overall it's great and has become my go-to trail since moving to the area.

I deducted one star because the markings are not great and a few times I got to an fork or area and had to just pick a way to go and hope I stayed on the loop. Soon after you start, you'll hit an abandoned parking lot; Continue through it and across the road you'll see the trail continue.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Good lengthy trail and pushes you a little with the rolling elevations and switchbacks. I did this on a ninety degree day and it was warm in the forest but not too bad. Take more water than you think you need. I thought the signage could have been better as it's interspersed with the same white markers but there are segment numbers, mileage markers and directional arrrows. You never know exactly what you are going to know when you come up to one. I also did not understand why there were no trail maps displayed at the two locations where there could have been other than the initial entrance. ( abandoned parking lot and the road crossing to the wooden bridge). I agree that most of the traffic I met with were hiking the trail counter clockwise while I was going clockwise for the same "hills early" reason some other hikers commented on. I was out there for most of the afternoon and only came across ten people (Saturday). Three on bikes, two on foot walking their dogs, five hiking.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Great hike! Seen deer along the trail. Nice scenery while trekking through. Definitely will return for another go!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Beautiful mostly shaded, well-marked trail with lots of birds, ferns and gorgeous trees. We met a couple of horses and bikes! Super friendly people

Monday, June 13, 2016

Went back again...did all 8.6-9 miles...great hike! Nice and shady and definitely bearable even on a 85-90* day