Rocky Rapids Trail

Rocky Rapids Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Marriottsville, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 515 feet Route Type: Out & Back

There is plenty of parking at the trailhead at the end of Henryton Rd. between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm (see photos).

I do this trail quite often since I live very close by. Nice little hike. Nothing too strenuous.

This is a very narrow and rather uninteresting section along the Patapsco river. It’s closer to being out in the woods as the trail is extremely narrow with patches of poison ivy and nettles which occasionally can get in contact with your skin so prepare for that. It’s rather boring and as most “out and back” trails are this is a classic example. Some points have other small trails intertwined but so long as you follow the river you won’t get lost. Encountering a horse or runner will cause yield to hop into the vegetation, again emphasizing the need for pants and closed shoes if you want to ensure against poison ivy contact. It wasn’t terrible just not very exciting and combined with the out-and-back and narrow trail it’s not my favorite. It’s ok for something different but I doubt we will decide to go on this again.

great scenic trail, I would recommend wearing long pants in the summer due to poison ivy along the edge of the trail.

I hiked this around 11am-1pm on Sunday 6/23/19. There were a decent amount of cars at the trailhead, but it appeared that most people were hanging out in the river next to the parking area. It was tricky to find the right trail, but thankfully I was able to use the map/gps in this app. Pros: all shade though with nice spots of sunlight, solitude (only saw 2 trail runners, 2 people fishing, and a few people riding horses), views of the river most of the time, sounds of the river and birds, easy enough to follow the main trail despite few markings and several side trails (just follow alongside the river), cool ruins Cons: a lot of horse poop, herd path type sections on the trail most of the way meant tall grass and other plants reaching into the trail (in other words, very overgrown), sections of mud (it wasn’t bad today since it hasn’t rained much lately but I can imagine it getting really muddy after rain and snow) I was fine bug-wise with the natural repellent I had on... I only heard bugs buzz near my head a few times and didn’t see or feel any mosquitoes on me.

Would give it five stars if it was a loop trail. the out-and-back was a very nice hike moderately difficult; nice climbs and beautiful scenery.