Summer was initiated two days ago, so this was my first summer hike of 2018. I started out at ~6:15 am in pouring drizzle rain and ended in less drizzle but damp conditions. This was fine, no running was intended (at first). I mention the rain because it affected my GPS and navigation in this area, the whole way— be forewarned.

About the hike: I began on an old rail trail that is unmaintained; the wrong way from where I wanted to go. I simply picked up the wrong trail from the parking lot. Again, navigation was an issue. You have to walk from the parking area to your point of start. I had other plans for the morning so I ended up jogging on occasions to make up lost time (again, not my original plan). As the reviewer before me stated, the course takes you around the old mill. The markings are fading, and there is quite a bit of open field hiking with no markings, so I relied on GPS navigation. Obviously, I went off course several times. I bypassed the Land of Promise Trail near the end, but I didn’t want to shortchange on mileage, so I did an out-n-back on Mason-Dixon Trail at the finish.

All in all a great hike, except for the poor markings in some key places. I hope to return to do Land of Promise.