Rock Run Grist Mill Trail

Rock Run Grist Mill Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Havre de Grace, Maryland that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Go up Rock Run Road to the split and enter on the orange trail. Follow the orange trail until it meets with the blue trail at the end of the farm field (the second time the orange trail meets the blue trail). Turn left on the blue trail, watching for trail spur #4 on the right (about 1/4 mile). Take the trail spur to the red trail; turn left. Take the red trail to the picnic area, where it will join the green trail. Proceed straight on the green trail; do not turn to the left. Follow the green trail until it crosses a small road to the campground area. Go straight on the trail spur #3 to the blue trail. Jog to the left across the creek. Turn right on the blue trail. Follow it all the way until it meets the orange trail. Turn left and follow the orange trail as it goes to the left, leading you to the road. Follow the road downhill to the parking area.

This trail takes you around the old mill and by the Susquehanna River. It also takes you to a small man made waterfall that is truly beautiful.

This was a fun hike with some good scenery. I kinda did it in two loops by accident. After coming back to my truck I figured out the part I missed and hiked that too. My recommendation is to start hike to left of mansion. Just go under pipe crossing up stairs and bear left. Historic walk to white land of promise. I'm pretty sure you'll walk by big tree other people have mentioned. It's big! From there follow rock run yellow and you get to walk along nice creek for a little. When you come to man made dam cross road to Wilkinson and grab the orange blaze ( left) from there. After that your on the trail according to app. This way you'll come down ( later) ridge trail red and that's a pretty good ascent.

Definitely not hard. I expected to see a little more water but you're surrounded by trees the whole time so you don't get to see too much. But overall it was a good hike. Wasn't too hard but it had some challenges.

4-star as it was no way near a "Hard" trail. I will consider this a moderate trail at the most. The description of the route is slightly confusing or maybe we missed something. The route (shown in red) is not accurate if we compare the description with the park trails map here http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Documents/SSP_map.pdf

Great trail! Beautiful scenery and the path was clearly marked and easy to navigate for the most part. Had fun climbing over rocks and a tree trunk to cross the water and it's a lot of uphill work but worth the trek!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Great trails, Great site seeing. friendly people.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Pretty easy trail. Quiet and beautiful. I just can't seem to find that big tree.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Nice route

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Been here many times...brought my new puppy to get him started on a familiar trail....he did great! trail needs a bit maintaining...trees across path and large roots sticking out...and dont go after a big rain....we slid down a trail! overall...great trail with beautiful views

Friday, June 24, 2016

Great trail, wish it was a little more kept up on but beautiful sights none the less

Sunday, April 24, 2016

My 4 year old son and I did just the Rock Run Trail loop where it uses the Land of Promise Trail to complete the loop. We also went down to the falls off the Historic Walking Trail. It's a moderate difficulty trail in my opinion. Keep an eye out for the roots and rocks. We did about 1.8 miles in an hour and twenty minutes. I forgot to continue recording after our lunch break so the time and distance on the track is a bit off. We had a good time, crossed paths with friendly people, and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Great campground facilities and network of trails through farmlands, high ridges and quiet forest.

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Many great trails right by the water to choose from! Spent all day here exploring. Some of the trails are not well marked but luckily we had cell service and were able to pull up directions back to where we parked. Looking forward to going back!

Friday, March 14, 2014

Maintained trails with a mix of gravel, dirt, and heavy root growth throughout. Watch out for the occasional land minds from horse travel. If you get a chance, venture to the old Beech Nut tree.

Monday, November 04, 2013

Lots of trails to keep the entire family busy for a day. I come here often with my children and just roam around till we get tired and head home. Lots of history in the area.

Monday, October 21, 2013

great park lots of things to do. walk along old rail road, hike in to old oaks, stepping stone has lots going on fall weekends. you can make loops by cutting trow the fields to catch anther trail
all year round is nice but in the spring lots of over growth they could use help in the spring maintaining the trails . this is a great look to hike !!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Love walking near water. Saw deer and ducks. Great time

Friday, September 27, 2013

Had a great trail ride with views of the river. The trails could use some work as there was plenty of washout with gullies instead of trails. Not a ride for the faint hearted or unfit horse! We had fun riding our Arabians with no problems.The park is beautiful !!

Sunday, September 15, 2013

LOVE this trail! Great parking, never too many people up there, beautiful scenery, and all on the water. A lot of it is on train tracks, too, which I think is awesome! Absolutely beautiful! And flat!! :)

Sunday, August 04, 2013

Spent the afternoon exploring Susquehanna State Park and was pleasantly surprised with the hiking trails and scenery. My partner and I actually started heading north along the river to begin and then headed south through the woods and open field. Never too strenuous but did have a little elevation here and there with some rocks. Overall a great day hike! Bring a map!