Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Rock Run Grist Mill Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(209)
Susquehanna State Park

Rock Run Grist Mill Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Havre de Grace, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 859 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

I-95 to Exit 89 (Route 155). Proceed with on Route 155 to Route 161. Turn right on Route 161; and then right on to Rock Run Road. Follow to river. Park at Rock Run Mill

A bit longer than 4.8. A couple points you need to cross anywhere from a couple inches to about a foot of water. Pretty easily manageable. A little more difficult if you have a dog. Great walk though. Ran into only a couple people along the way.

This trail went by super quickly— I loved the changes of scenery and topo. The first bit has a lot of steep sections, and the way I went the end also has a steep stretch, but none of it was crazy :) highly recommend! If you can’t find parking, there’s a $2 lot a mile down stafford near the water that you can try.

This trail is awesome for moderate hikers. Great variation of elevation and flat periods! The trails are well maintained and well marked but thus route is definitely a full mile longer than this states. We ended up at around 5.9 miles. Overall, great views and a lot of fun!

I tackled this trail as a solo newbie and did well! It was a lot of fun. This trail connects with multiple others along the way, so it can be a little challenging to navigate but I used the map on this app to help. I was only planning for 4.8 miles but ended up doing 6.7 somehow - even though I followed the map. Just FYI. I did the trail backwards and there is one part where you have to cross the river...starting from the “end” it’s less obvious this is what you have to do. But totally doable and lots of fun! Many kinds of terrain and abundant sunshine - don’t forget your sunscreen. I’ll be back again.

Great hike with Trail USA troop. An upgrade of a trail for my 6 year old. Proud of him finishing strong with the group. Part of recording was paused which is why it might look a bit weird.

Beautiful day in 40's.

great trail. clear & well maintained. lots of up & down elevation changes. spot towards the end of trail I missed w/ the failing light seems you need to do a little section of off-trailing

The old wooden signs label parts of these trails as "Very Difficult", but this must only be due to some of the up and down involved. All the trails are in great shape and so there aren't any of the usual problematic obstructions (rocks, roots, etc). The trails along the fields (Farm Road Trail - blue) provide a nice change of scenery in the winter from the usual gray/brown forest.

Enjoyed the hike. I’ve mountain biked this trail many times but it’s amazing what you miss when trying not to crash into things. Really enjoyed the terrain and scenery for a quick hike.

decent ups and downs as well as clearings. the huge tree is awesome

We got lost. Ended up on blue trail. Couldn’t find red trail. Did find “Fisherman’s bridge” thanks to a photographer we passed along the way. Hard hiking over RR ties from Mill to bridge. Then noticed we could have parked at bridge and started our walk. Blue trail nicely marked and easy to walk. Start at Bridge and walk blue trail along the Susquehanna River. Beautiful walk. Beautiful views of the river.

Lots of incline but interspersed with nice flat trails. Very beautiful area.

Interesting mix of terrain and difficulty. It was a bit confusing since this route is a combination of several different trails. I got lost and had to keep a close eye on my GPS.

Nice hike with my pup.

Nice up and downs.

Tue Apr 30 2019

Wish all trials would tell you which color markings to follow. I came to a fork that had 3 trails and the yellow was named rock run or run rock.... so I thought that was the right one... it took me on a loop in the opposite direction. Luckily I was here to enjoy the day so it didn’t matter. But sometimes I have to work in the afternoon and don’t have time to get lost. The blue trial that you run into a little way into the yellow is what you want to take for this trial. It crosses the creek a couple times, your feet will get wet. Enjoy your hike!

Thu Feb 28 2019

Trails are well blazed, and fun. A good challenge for a young out of shape guy. The red trail is definitely the biggest challenge. LOTS of deer to see, if you aren’t too loud. Will definitely be coming back.

Sat Feb 16 2019

This was a pretty trail that I’ll hike again. Not too many views of the Susquehanna but a nice moderate hike through the woods. I went clockwise. It was difficult to find the trailhead, I followed the road uphill 1/4+ mile to an intersection with another road where there is a nice trailhead, which I don’t think is the same one indicated in this app. Like other reviewers I had to use my phone several times to make sure I was following the correct trail. At the end there was a wide stream crossing with no good way across, so I went off trail, bushwhacking upstream a few hundred feet to where there was a road with a bridge. There’s a public restroom nearby too.

Sun Feb 10 2019

Fri Dec 21 2018

Did this hike 12/19/18. Excellent hike did the full loop. Had to cross to streams so just be careful doing so. It was a lot of up and downs but not horrible great work out. There were mange hunting signs up so use caution. Maybe where something bright. Awesome place pretty well marked used the app a few times just to be sure.

Fri Nov 02 2018

This trail is great. Very hilly though

Tue Aug 14 2018

Awesome trail close by with many different types of scenery. Loved it!

Tue Aug 14 2018

Loved it!

Fri Aug 10 2018

So right off the batnn the trail isn't marked well. The sign that leads into the trail, which says nothing about it actually being the trail, has a wasp nest in it. There is no sign telling you which way the trail goes, so I went to the right. Bad move, because the trail ended after a minute of running. What's even more fun, there was a nasty wasp nest hiding in the bushes, and one managed to sting me right in the neck. This trail needs to at least be marjed better, and having two wasp nests is kind of frustrating. So... at least until I come back and go the other way, this trail is not recommended. If you do go on it, watch out for the wasps.

Sun Aug 05 2018

scenic. Us and dogs enjoyed. will return

Sat Jun 23 2018

Summer was initiated two days ago, so this was my first summer hike of 2018. I started out at ~6:15 am in pouring drizzle rain and ended in less drizzle but damp conditions. This was fine, no running was intended (at first). I mention the rain because it affected my GPS and navigation in this area, the whole way— be forewarned. About the hike: I began on an old rail trail that is unmaintained; the wrong way from where I wanted to go. I simply picked up the wrong trail from the parking lot. Again, navigation was an issue. You have to walk from the parking area to your point of start. I had other plans for the morning so I ended up jogging on occasions to make up lost time (again, not my original plan). As the reviewer before me stated, the course takes you around the old mill. The markings are fading, and there is quite a bit of open field hiking with no markings, so I relied on GPS navigation. Obviously, I went off course several times. I bypassed the Land of Promise Trail near the end, but I didn’t want to shortchange on mileage, so I did an out-n-back on Mason-Dixon Trail at the finish. All in all a great hike, except for the poor markings in some key places. I hope to return to do Land of Promise.

Tue Feb 20 2018

This trail takes you around the old mill and by the Susquehanna River. It also takes you to a small man made waterfall that is truly beautiful.

Thu Feb 15 2018

This was a fun hike with some good scenery. I kinda did it in two loops by accident. After coming back to my truck I figured out the part I missed and hiked that too. My recommendation is to start hike to left of mansion. Just go under pipe crossing up stairs and bear left. Historic walk to white land of promise. I'm pretty sure you'll walk by big tree other people have mentioned. It's big! From there follow rock run yellow and you get to walk along nice creek for a little. When you come to man made dam cross road to Wilkinson and grab the orange blaze ( left) from there. After that your on the trail according to app. This way you'll come down ( later) ridge trail red and that's a pretty good ascent.