Rock Run Grist Mill Trail

Rock Run Grist Mill Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Havre de Grace, Maryland that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

I-95 to Exit 89 (Route 155). Proceed with on Route 155 to Route 161. Turn right on Route 161; and then right on to Rock Run Road. Follow to river. Park at Rock Run Mill

Awesome trail close by with many different types of scenery. Loved it!

1 hour ago

Loved it!

So right off the batnn the trail isn't marked well. The sign that leads into the trail, which says nothing about it actually being the trail, has a wasp nest in it. There is no sign telling you which way the trail goes, so I went to the right. Bad move, because the trail ended after a minute of running. What's even more fun, there was a nasty wasp nest hiding in the bushes, and one managed to sting me right in the neck. This trail needs to at least be marjed better, and having two wasp nests is kind of frustrating. So... at least until I come back and go the other way, this trail is not recommended. If you do go on it, watch out for the wasps.

scenic. Us and dogs enjoyed. will return

Summer was initiated two days ago, so this was my first summer hike of 2018. I started out at ~6:15 am in pouring drizzle rain and ended in less drizzle but damp conditions. This was fine, no running was intended (at first). I mention the rain because it affected my GPS and navigation in this area, the whole way— be forewarned.

About the hike: I began on an old rail trail that is unmaintained; the wrong way from where I wanted to go. I simply picked up the wrong trail from the parking lot. Again, navigation was an issue. You have to walk from the parking area to your point of start. I had other plans for the morning so I ended up jogging on occasions to make up lost time (again, not my original plan). As the reviewer before me stated, the course takes you around the old mill. The markings are fading, and there is quite a bit of open field hiking with no markings, so I relied on GPS navigation. Obviously, I went off course several times. I bypassed the Land of Promise Trail near the end, but I didn’t want to shortchange on mileage, so I did an out-n-back on Mason-Dixon Trail at the finish.

All in all a great hike, except for the poor markings in some key places. I hope to return to do Land of Promise.

This trail takes you around the old mill and by the Susquehanna River. It also takes you to a small man made waterfall that is truly beautiful.

This was a fun hike with some good scenery. I kinda did it in two loops by accident. After coming back to my truck I figured out the part I missed and hiked that too. My recommendation is to start hike to left of mansion. Just go under pipe crossing up stairs and bear left. Historic walk to white land of promise. I'm pretty sure you'll walk by big tree other people have mentioned. It's big! From there follow rock run yellow and you get to walk along nice creek for a little. When you come to man made dam cross road to Wilkinson and grab the orange blaze ( left) from there. After that your on the trail according to app. This way you'll come down ( later) ridge trail red and that's a pretty good ascent.

Definitely not hard. I expected to see a little more water but you're surrounded by trees the whole time so you don't get to see too much. But overall it was a good hike. Wasn't too hard but it had some challenges.

4-star as it was no way near a "Hard" trail. I will consider this a moderate trail at the most. The description of the route is slightly confusing or maybe we missed something. The route (shown in red) is not accurate if we compare the description with the park trails map here http://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Documents/SSP_map.pdf

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Great trail! Beautiful scenery and the path was clearly marked and easy to navigate for the most part. Had fun climbing over rocks and a tree trunk to cross the water and it's a lot of uphill work but worth the trek!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Great trails, Great site seeing. friendly people.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Pretty easy trail. Quiet and beautiful. I just can't seem to find that big tree.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Nice route

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Been here many times...brought my new puppy to get him started on a familiar trail....he did great! trail needs a bit maintaining...trees across path and large roots sticking out...and dont go after a big rain....we slid down a trail! overall...great trail with beautiful views

Friday, June 24, 2016

Great trail, wish it was a little more kept up on but beautiful sights none the less

Sunday, April 24, 2016

My 4 year old son and I did just the Rock Run Trail loop where it uses the Land of Promise Trail to complete the loop. We also went down to the falls off the Historic Walking Trail. It's a moderate difficulty trail in my opinion. Keep an eye out for the roots and rocks. We did about 1.8 miles in an hour and twenty minutes. I forgot to continue recording after our lunch break so the time and distance on the track is a bit off. We had a good time, crossed paths with friendly people, and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Great campground facilities and network of trails through farmlands, high ridges and quiet forest.

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Many great trails right by the water to choose from! Spent all day here exploring. Some of the trails are not well marked but luckily we had cell service and were able to pull up directions back to where we parked. Looking forward to going back!

Friday, March 14, 2014

Maintained trails with a mix of gravel, dirt, and heavy root growth throughout. Watch out for the occasional land minds from horse travel. If you get a chance, venture to the old Beech Nut tree.

Monday, November 04, 2013

Lots of trails to keep the entire family busy for a day. I come here often with my children and just roam around till we get tired and head home. Lots of history in the area.

Monday, October 21, 2013

great park lots of things to do. walk along old rail road, hike in to old oaks, stepping stone has lots going on fall weekends. you can make loops by cutting trow the fields to catch anther trail
all year round is nice but in the spring lots of over growth they could use help in the spring maintaining the trails . this is a great look to hike !!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Love walking near water. Saw deer and ducks. Great time

Friday, September 27, 2013

Had a great trail ride with views of the river. The trails could use some work as there was plenty of washout with gullies instead of trails. Not a ride for the faint hearted or unfit horse! We had fun riding our Arabians with no problems.The park is beautiful !!

Sunday, September 15, 2013

LOVE this trail! Great parking, never too many people up there, beautiful scenery, and all on the water. A lot of it is on train tracks, too, which I think is awesome! Absolutely beautiful! And flat!! :)

Sunday, August 04, 2013

Spent the afternoon exploring Susquehanna State Park and was pleasantly surprised with the hiking trails and scenery. My partner and I actually started heading north along the river to begin and then headed south through the woods and open field. Never too strenuous but did have a little elevation here and there with some rocks. Overall a great day hike! Bring a map!

Monday, November 19, 2012

some fun biking, beautiful spot. we've camped there a couple times. from the campgrounds you can access some decent trails, grab a map from the check in station. there is a bit of an elevation change from there to the river so do the difficult trail going down and ride the easy one back up.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Lots of water breaks takes the fun out of a lot of trails. There are some pretty good sections of technical riding on the Green Loop, great climbs on the Red, and fast twisty single track on the Orange trail.

Watch out for all the horse poop.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hike trails was ok, one big problem is the markings were not very visible and can get alittle confusing. But for advance hikers should get through with eased. Scenery was not bad. Terrain says difficult but small children should be able to hike trails with no problem.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lovely setting by the Susquehanna River. There is an old restored mill which is open to the public. There is also a house which belonged to a Civil War officer.
There are several trails of differing terrain and distance. My wife and I did the "red and blue" trails which was about 5 miles of varied difficulty, a couple of relatively steep climbs but overall I would rate it moderate. There are a couple of water crossings on the trail we took which were difficult for my wife (no stepping stones). I would advise taking a map due to the lack of and relatively poor signage, but experienced hikers will not have a problem with that. It is a shared trail with bikes and horses and is a little narrow at times so be careful.
Overall a very pleasant little walk mostly under the cover of trees.