River Ridge Trail

River Ridge Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ellicott City, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail takes hikers from the the campground road down a hill, over railroad tracks, and to the river. The trail begins at the campground road and follows a series of steep switchbacks down to the railroad tracks. Once across the tracks hikers can go down to the river.

very short, but fun :)

I had to come back to complete my original planned loop because I was called to an emergency and only did 1.5 miles the last time here. This is a very Challenging trail system in this area. I totally enjoy all the ups and downs, roots and rocks. I would indeed recommend Trekking poles because some sections are slippery when wet. Beware of early morning dew on the trail. I was still able to track 2.7 miles an hour and was finished in 57 minutes. Do back for this old senior.

First Time Here - This trail kicked this Seniors butt. Park doesn't open until 9AM. so it was already getting hot out. Very rocky & steep, Muddy because it poured the night before. There were a few steps and even one or two switchbacks.Trails are not marked very well by the tunnel area. The only flat spot was when I was standing at the stream were the Union dam use to be or on the train tracks when I totally couldn't find the connecting trails that were Overgrown. I would still recommend this loop and the added 1.5 miles around the campground as a great winter trek but today I fried on the hike back up the campground road. No shade there.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Monday, June 08, 2015

Beautiful lush greenery and nice moderate hike. Quiet and peaceful

Monday, May 18, 2015

Tyler is correct, the hike is short but nevertheless still a good one. My dog loved it.

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Thursday, April 02, 2015

Thursday, August 02, 2012

Sunday, March 04, 2012

This is a nice but very short hike. The switchbacks are a nice workout but not very long so doable by any age. The railroad tracks look great and we were lucky to actually watch a train pass by. The dogs enjoyed the river and chased sticks for about an hour. This trail turned our evening into a good one. We were camping nearby.