Hemlock Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Manchester, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail head is on Gunpowder Road .4 miles after you turn off of Hoffmanville Road and just before the bridge. Parking on the left, entrance on the right when facing the bridge.

The trailhead is unmarked and the rock scrambling is tough, but the view of the stream makes it worth the trek.

This trail has a little bit of everything. From wide to narrow path, climbing over rocks and crossing a stream. The stream was fantastic from all the rain that has fallen this past summer and fall. Will go back and hike again this winter.

Nice loop with hills and stream crossings. The lower section hugs the river and has some cool rock croppings to climb over. Most of the trail was pretty wide open with a few sections very over grown, like hiking a single track deer path. The river section was fun and I will decently be back.

Read this for directions.

Path had been flooded and nothing was really marked so I basically just stumbled around the woods for two hours and then got stung by a bee. That being said, the moss and ferns are gorgeous and I did see a cool purple mushroom.

Very very overgrown! Made the mistake of continuing on when the trail became nearly non-existent and I honestly felt like it was the closest I’ll ever get to naked and afraid. We hiked through tons of thorns and poison Ivey. On the bright side, some parts have really pretty views, places to sit and it was a GREAT workout. Definitely turn around when the trail gets overgrown lol

Great spots along the river and good bouldering cliffs. Very overgrown at beginning of trailhead (poison ivy)

Some parts of the trail were hard to make out. We didn’t see a waterfall or mill. I would never take my dog on this trail.

This is a fantastic trail with remnants of a paper mill and small graveyard. There are two actual trails that take you to the same spot. A place my friends all call Paradise. The longer trail is flanked by trees on each side and is a easy hike. The other trail back is a little more difficult and don’t take a dog on that trail. Certain spots require 3 points of contact. Anyway this trail ranks in my top 5 for this area of Baltimore county. Give it a try and there’s a beautiful surprise at the end. Oh and if you like to forage for edible plants, there area bounty of them there to try. If you know what you’re doing.

What I hiked looked nothing like these pictures (think much more boring). I followed the directions to get to the trail head, and I started walking down where the coords said it was, but it just dead ended at a little solar powered apparatus of some sort. So I walked back up to the road, and I walked up the "fire road" on the other side of the bridge. After walking along the creek for a while the path went pretty far up the hill to the left and then forked. I decided to go right, back down towards the water. I followed that for a while until it narrowed and I came across a Canadian Goose nesting which was pretty cool. Not even sure the trail continued at that point but I kept following the creek and after 2 miles eventually came out across from a rodeo. At that point I decided I'd been hiking for too far to be on the right path and something wasn't right, so I turned around and went back to my car. Besides the goose, I saw some cool wildflowers and a herd of deer drinking at the creek but I could easily have done essentially the same hike, without going so far away (hour and a half drive for me). Never did see any waterfalls. I guess if you're local to the area it's nice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go back. All in all a nice basic Earth Day hike.

The trail is tricky because it isn’t marked, but you have the river to follow. I don’t think we did the full trail because we seemed to hit a dead end where we would need to cross a branch of the river and get very wet (horses appear to cross there though). We saw many frogs and they were noisy. :)

Great place to hike and birdwatch. My favorite place to be in late spring

Sunday, October 08, 2017

As already commented, it's a very nice trail but very poorly marked. Some of the stream crossings are unfeasible by foot. In some, there were horse tracks; at least for some part of the trail, it's clearly better for riding.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Beautiful trail, but poorly marked. I took a picture of the start of the trail by the bridge. I met another person who found this place on AllTrails, but he took a different trail. It's a fairly difficult trail with some stream crossings and overgrown patches.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Beautiful and fun!

Friday, July 21, 2017

This trail is beautiful, especially on the section just south of Walker Run. Be careful for slick, mossy rocks. I didn't have much trouble sticking to the trail because the river provides a good reference. Crossing the Gunpowder Falls before returning to Gunpowder Rd. is a little challenging if you're trying to stay dry. I needed to step on a few submerged rocks to make the crossing.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Hey All,

I live on one of those border properties people mention in their reviews. Thanks for keeping the area clean and pristine. If you ever see a German Shephard full of energy running around, she's nice as can be and wouldn't hurt a fly (just might play too hard) - sometimes she just roams a little too far! Her name is Stella and loves a good stick toss into the water. Feel free to play with her or tell her to go home.

Thanks again

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Beautiful trail along the river but this isn't an easy stroll. Trail is unmarked.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Where can horse trailers be parked for day use of these trails?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Overall nice area, just not well maintained during early spring I guess. A lot of properties connect to the trails so you end up in back yards if you aren't careful.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Very nice views, but VERY difficult to follow. Multiple crossings if you want to complete. Goes along road also.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Trail was not very well marked and parts were impassable. Overall good hike though, nice scenery and interesting history surrounding the Hoffman burial ground.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Very fun, adventurous hike. Will need to go off trail and climb up rocks.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Beautiful hike but not marked very well. Use caution during wet weather and snow on the ground. The rocks are very slippery.

Saturday, December 03, 2016

Fun trail, wish it were longer. Only downfall is the amount of people there. Other than that beautiful

Monday, May 30, 2016

Trail was heavily overgrown and nearly impassable.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A really nice trail on a warm August morning. Spent some time climbing and chilling. Went off trail a little and blazed along the ridge. I would give it 5 stars but it was really trashy. We packed out a grocery bag full of cans. We could have filled a large trash bag easily.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Gorgeous! Took the trail along the river with our dog and my 2 year-old. The little one managed plenty of time on foot, I easily carried her in a back carrier when she needed a break, and the dog had the time of her life. Lots of sceneic access spots to the water along the way.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Hiked this yesterday Took the white trail to the right first, it ended at somebody's property so you just turn around and come back. Lots of deer droppings. Walked back and took the white trail to the left. Make sure to watch for the markers. One minute, every fifth tree was marked and the next, none. Hiked down toward the river bank since it was still trail. Ground cover got pretty thick and decided to just go up. Took what ended up being a trail past a large section of rocks with a cave. Work your way up to the fire road if you get thrown off and you'll be fine.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Great trail. One that follows the river is some great single track, where at some points you need 3 points of contact to go thru. There are also easier trails that will take you to the same destination. We around here know the trail as paradise and it truly is one of the prettiest spots in this area.