Piney Run Inlet Trail

Piney Run Inlet Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sykesville, Maryland that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 177 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Nice trail. Wide path that wanders through the woods away from the lake.

Good trails.

Quiet and well groomed trail.

Great trail, costs 5$. Worth it.

This is a perfect trail for taking a dog on a hike that’s not too strenuous. Scenic views and easy walking. You do need to be prepared to pay a fee to enter. $10 for out of county and five dollars for in county (Carroll) per car. I would also bring some bug spray just in case. The hike made for a very nice afternoon.

What a great place to go for a couple of hours hike, & just enjoy nature!

Great trails. I didn’t realize it either but there is a parking fee ($5 resident/$10 non-resident) that you should bring cash for because despite the sign that says they take cards, the attendant told me cash only when I tried to hand him a card. Otherwise, the trails were lovely and fairly well maintained. Mostly in shade so you don’t bake from the sun. Muddy in spots but I gather that’s due to the season. The later in the day, the more people and dogs we saw on the trail. Lots of people boating and kids on the playground. Did this trail with my 11 yr old and our dog and both did amazing as it’s fairly easy.

Mon Apr 30 2018

Went there today it’s a beautiful park definitely go back love it

Sun Apr 22 2018

Great spot to hike, bike, fish or boat. Payment for entry per vehicle ($5 for Carroll county resident). Would go back again.

Fri Jan 19 2018

****WARNING**** During winter months, the park’s traffic gates close at 4:00pm. If you intend to stay in the park past 4:00pm, please park your car in the small parking lot just outside the gates, or risk your car being locked in for the night.

Thu May 11 2017

note that there is a $10 fee for entering the park if you are not a Carroll county resident.

Mon Feb 27 2017

Great place to take your dog and hike. I only wish there was more of it. The trail are well maintained and scenic too.

Mon Feb 06 2017

Beautiful lake to hike around but I didn't find the trails to be particularly well marked. Advise taking a look on line to see the full layout of this park before heading over.

Mon Oct 10 2016

Lake trail is great. first half along the water, second half through the woods. nature centers with owls was a hit for the kids.

Sun Oct 09 2016

This park was perfect on an October afternoon. Likes of trails to explore and beautiful views. I could (and did) spend hours there.

Sun Sep 04 2016

nice trails for beginners.

Sun Jul 03 2016

It's easy and fun for family and there is a cool waterfall where you can climb the big rocks all the way to the top! But your not allowed to go in any water or rivers

Fri Jan 29 2016

It was a fun, easy hike. A great one to do with family. I remember going to piney run when I was very young with family and friends, we would hike probably 1 mile (the distance I am not certain) to a pine forest where we made forts out of fallen branches. It was a great time and seemed almost magical back then. I highly suggest it.

Sun Oct 25 2015

Nice easy trail. View of the reservoir were very nice.

Mon Apr 06 2015

Nice easy hike for all. Bush trails big clean and opportunities to do other activities like kayak, canoe and fish

Mon Mar 09 2015

Enjoyable walk on the trails but wasn't marked very well and upkeep seemed a bit poor for the trails. However, those two complaints are most likely if not definitely the result of the park not being fully open for the year.

Fri Jul 04 2014

This practically used to be my backyard. It was with in great walking distance from house, and I would hike it just about every weekend! Really loved this park!

Sat Sep 21 2013

The horses and escrement are on the equestrian trail. The nearly 5 mile trails on the other side of the reservoir are very nice. We spot deer every hike. Check the map to differentiate the horse trail.

Mon Sep 02 2013

I found this trail to be loaded with horses, lots of horse excrement and many hikers. Too short to be worth while. Too many hikers to get a good ride.

Fri Jun 15 2012

Tackled this trail yesterday in about an hour. Started off very nice, down hill and mostly flat. I started at the parking lot on Martz rd. Trail is well maintained. Borders a quiet neighborhood, so be good out there. At the far end of the trail, you can continue to ride over the dam and to the other side. It is a beautiful scene from the dam.