Piney Orchard Loop

Piney Orchard Loop is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Odenton, Maryland that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1. There’s no valid parking. We were fine in the lot across from the trail head for about an hour and a half, but there’s a big sign that says you’ll get towed, so... at your own risk I guess.

2. This place is crazy dense with bugs. I mean like, maybe dangerously dense. At one point we literally had to start running to get away from a swarm of mosquitos. We forgot the bug spray in the car, and made a huge mistake not going back to get it. Don’t make the same mistake we did and make sure to bring tons of bug spray so you can actually slow down and enjoy this place. Also, be sure to check for ticks. The trail is mostly well kept and doesn’t look like the kind of place you’d pick them up if you stayed on the trail, but you’d be wrong. We both found a few crawling around.

3. Its an incredibly beautiful trail with hugely varied scenery and wildlife. It was worth the bugs.

Love it

The place this app took me to park was labeled as resident only. After talking to a few people, although that is true, none had ever seen anyone who enforced this at the lot across from the trail head. I was parked for a few hours and had no issues. The beginning was a paved path near condos but there are several loop options and in early spring seeing things starting to grow was very nice.

Definitely would not classify this as a moderate trail; it's almost completely flat. Was really peaceful once you get off the Lone Wolf Trail which is paved and runs along a bunch of houses. The trail is well maintain and takes you through some pretty marshlands and a field perfect for checking out wildlife. Would like to go back once spring arrives and everything is in bloom. Not entirely sure where to park for this trail. There's a sign in the parking lot saying for residents only but we rolled the dice and were fine.

This is part of a residential neighborhood and is an easy trail for the residents. Parking lot said private parking for residents only violators will be towed. I’m sure it’s a lovely trail for the residents.

Nice hike. I parked my car on Strawberry Lake Way.

Friday, January 15, 2016