Perimeter Trail

Perimeter Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Greenbelt, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A very pleasant five mile walk in the woods. A few spots are close to highways, but given its location, much of the trail (especially the southern part) was quite nice.

It is a nice place inside the Beltway to go for a relatively easy trail run and it is so much better than running on the roads. It for all the times I have been there, it has never been busy.

This is a very enjoyable trail.

Not much to see. But good for the purposes of exercising.

Light traffic. No issues. Quite peaceful. Did 6.7 miles starting at Dogwood trailhead. Good markings. No ticks on me but I kept moving....no sitting.

Nice trail though highway views kind of takeaway from scenery

Walked most of the trail during an overcast, chilly day. Easy trail to hike (fairly well marked and no major elevation gains) and run. Not much to see in the winter but probably pretty in the summer.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Pleasant, easy, well-marked. Virtually no elevation change.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Close to busy roadways, but otherwise great trail.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

This is my go-to trail when I want to get in a nice walk near home. No bugs today, a young fawn right by the trail, and leaves falling in the woods already. Say it ain't so!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Beautiful trail and surprisingly quiet for being in the city.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Friendly trail with multiple wildlife sitings. Well marked and traveled trails. Bugs not bad.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

overall it was a pretty easy trail to hike. it's only about 5 miles long and the bugs weren't as bad as others have said. If you're in the area, it's worth a visit, but it's not worth it to travel a long distance to get here.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Getting to this trail is easy from any parking area in the park. If you use the map on the alltrails app, you can easily connect to the trail which is just the trail that circles the outside of the park. This trail is basically a nature walk. No epic views or anything, but consistently pleasant trail with some streams and meadows nearby, and a lot of deer in the forest. It's relatively unused considering how close it is to DC. There are a number of instances where it gets pretty close to the freeway, so for about half the hike, you can hear road noise. There are only a few points where you can visualize the freeway. My only complaint, and it would keep me from coming back in the spring or summer, is the number of ticks. I had at least 5 ticks on me, and the dog had over 10. Whenever we would sit, we could see ticks scurrying up our legs. Pretty gross. Afterwards, there were ticks in the car, and in the gear. A lot of people camp in the area. Apparently they are less weirded out by ticks than I am...

Monday, May 30, 2016

Nice trail with lots of deer sightings. However, there were WAY too many ticks all throughout the trail. If I sat down for 5 min I would find at least one tick on my leg. I brought my dog on the hike and he had a minimum of 10 ticks on him. I highly recommend avoiding this trail during tick season (May - Aug) -- it wasn't at all worth the hassle.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

This loop is at least 8-9 miles, not sure why it is describe as around 5 on most tracks shown. All other descriptions are pretty accurate.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

There'a few downed trees and some parts where trail maintenance has fallen a little bit, and traffic noise is a factor for decent chunks, but once you get deeper into the trail, it's quite pretty, and not super difficult. Good to get out of the city for a bit and enjoy an afternoon. Was worth the five miles or so.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

clearly marked trail with slight inclines at some points. Small streams rock formations on some points of the trails.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

It was a fun trail to hike. Clearly marked path.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Very good and well marked out trail. Only 5.4 miles though. Nice for a quick 'get out of the city' trail. Maybe if you add in all the side trails it may be higher. Well marked and managed. There was one part that was washed out but it was easy to adjust. Quite a few deer running about. Moderate amount of traffic. I recommend it for any level.