Paw Paw Tunnel Trail

Paw Paw Tunnel Trail is a 3.8 mile out and back trail located near Oldtown, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Cumberland, MD: Travel east on MD State Route 51 about 25 miles to the tunnel trailhead parking lot located on the left hand side of the road. The trail begins at the back of the lot.

This was a fun bike ride with the kids. The tunnel was long and dark. Very different than my usual hikes. As far as all hikes I've done I'd give it 2 stars but for Mid East coast it's a 4.

We were here over the winter after the big rock slide on the north side of the tunnel. Not surprised itis closed for a while this year (2017)

TUNNEL IS CLOSED FOR REPAIRS UNTIL THE END OF JULY!!!
My husband and I took our grandson here for a fun hike through the tunnel only to find that there was a sign partway there that restricted access to "Authorized Personnel" only. We could not even see the tunnel. We took the detour hike which took us over the tunnel and down the other side but we gained nothing more than a pretty view at the top. A very disappointing day for us all.
Apparently work is being done on the opposite end of the tunnel to prevent rock slides.
Let's hope it is opened on time and we can try again.

first hike of the year, of the decade. hiked over the "Easy" trail. kicked my butt but the scenery was worth it. I'll be back.

love the location

Very pretty trail. extremely flat & I'd rate as easy. The tunnel was open today & very impressive.

Great trail, although it looks like the tunnel will be closing for maintenance in the coming weeks. Make sure to double-check the availability before planning your trip!

In 2000, we rode from Cumberland to this area on the C&O Canal Trail on our bikes. The tunnel was especially tantalizing to the boys, as there was a large black snake in the tunnel; they were absolutely fascinated.

Monday, August 15, 2016

me and my family went really enjoyed ourselves not for beginner hikers

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Excellent shorty.

Monday, July 04, 2016

A must do for hikers. My family really enjoyed this hike. We did have a little difficulty getting there as the GPS directions we got here were wrong. I think it will work if you plug in Paw Paw tunnel or campground on highway 51. . We parked at the campground and it was a .5 walk to the tunnel. Everything was well marked. We choose to go thru the tunnel first and then walked along the C and O canal for a few miles after. We did forget the flashlights in the car, lol, but used our cell phones flashlights which worked very well. The tunnel was fun and really dark On the way back we liked the Paw Paw Tunnel trail over the tunnel. It was very steep and about 2 miles long. In hide sight we should have done the trail first and gone thru the tunnel on the way back to the car.