Patapsco Valley State Park Loop

Patapsco Valley State Park Loop is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Patapsco Woods, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This loop is indeed an enjoyable one. Not many people walk the Santee trail. Park your car in the Hilton Area or at the Swinging Bridge in the Orange Grove area. There are restrooms and water fountains at both locations. You can even Camp overnight in the Hilton area but you have to pay. The Grist Mill trail is a fairly flat Blacktop trail that runs along the river. The Sawmill Trail (RED) has an up or down terrain pending your direction and features a stone tunnel you walk through, small very manageable stream crossing but there is one section that is a bit rocky. You have to walk on the boulders due to a down tree. You can still see the edge of the original trail. The Santee Trail (WHITE) crossing the whole top. It changes to (ORANGE) then back to (WHITE) because of the Charcoal Trail that runs around the campground. If you are hiking the Santee Trail from the Hilton Area to the Vineyard Trail just make all rights that are marked (WHITE). A long hike on the Santee but it is an easy one. The Vineyard trail (RED) is at a big intersection of trails and is well marked.(at the Fire Road). The Vineyard trail has an up or down terrain pending your direction. Please Note: If you need to shorten this trek you can break off the Santee and get onto the Backside Of Nun's. (Nunnery Trail) connects Santee to Grist Mill Trail.

Crazy weather we are having again this month. Maryland weather, Wait 5 minutes and it will change. Just a few days ago I was hiking Rockburn park in 60 degree weather. Today it's back in the 40's - 30's with the wind chill and snow being forecasted in the evening. The only reason I saw a few people on the trails was because it's a weekend. I didn't take any photos today because I had my mittens on and my hands kept getting cold. I kept my cellphone in my pocket the whole time. Wear clothes in layers and try not to sweat. I am a local and hike everyday. This is one of my favorite loops.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

great trail, somewhat muddy in a few spots, this is a well used trail, with a few people going all the way around, with most people sticking close to the parking area, this trail took me just 2:30 hours with my wife my son and my dog. easy enough to walk and very pleasant.
I will be back in the spring time,

Thursday, February 23, 2017