Patapsco Valley Hilltop Area Trail

Patapsco Valley Hilltop Area Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Patapsco Woods, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

HIKERS BEWARE - The Upper Grist Mill trail is CLOSED. If you want to see the Bloede Dam removal project then you need to hike up the River Rd. trail to access the opposite side of the construction area. If you go straight to the top of the Bloede Dam viewpoint you can get a beautiful view of the Dam before it's gone. I looped around Buzzard Rock to Hilltop parking area then hiked down River Rd. When you get to Ilchester Rd. you can see the construction of a stone access road going across the stream right next to the Patterson Footbridge. That end is now CLOSED but if you go a little farther you will see the old River Rd. trail. That trail will take you to the Dam and also to the Swinging Bridge.

HIKERS BEWARE - The Grist Mill Trail from Bloede Dam to Ilchester Road is CLOSED. American Rivers has start the project for the dam removal. Signs are Posted. They have to move the Sewer Pipe before they remove the Dam. This area will be CLOSED for at least a year. I originally planned to hike up there but the entire section is blocked off. I did a figure 8 loop that consisting of heavy ups and downs. The leaves are falling fast and the trails are covering up. Some sections of the trail was like walking on Clouds. CHECK MY RECORDING - There is 3 parking options and restrooms at each spot. Water is available at the swinging bridge and at Hilton area too. There is a lot of terrain changes the way I hiked this route and much of it includes Stream crossings, Rocks and Roots. The last mile was all flat paved trail. It was a nice cool breeze all day and there were lots of people in the park. Although my route was 6 miles and the moving time was only 2 hours, I spent 4 1/2 hours enjoying nature. I talked to many people and I even had a hot Cup of Noodles when I broke for lunch up at the Hilton Tire Park area. If the Nature Center is open you need to check it out.

Once we figured the trail situation, this hike ended up being pretty decent. However, it was not easy to figure out the trails as the visitor center wasn't functioning and there weren't maps available. Ranger Ed saved the day when he approached us to talk about the mill ruins. We asked him about hiking and he gave us the information so we would know what directions to go. Without his help we likely wouldn't have stuck around. Yay Ed!

HIKERS BEWARE
Scheduled for the summer of 2017, this area will be under construction because of the 42- inch sewer pipe relocation and Dam removal project. Access to this trail system will be limited because they will be digging up the Grist Mill Trail to place the New pipe under it. I would recommend you only using Hilltop Rd. area and staying clear of River and Ilchester Rd. The old Paper/mill lot is one of the staging areas for Heavy Equipment. The project will last up to 18 months and the Dam will be removed in 2018. Enjoy it for now.

Date 3/2/2017 Great hike. Best to hike this trail counterclockwise so that you can several
small waterfalls.

Good hike! Several different options to make the loop a little longer. Maps are helpful

Monday, October 31, 2016

wife and I did this trail on a warmer fall day. there was one somewhat tricky spot due to the incline but overall we really enjoyed the trail.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Great trail!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

buzzard rock trail (part of the loop) kicks my butt!

Friday, September 18, 2015

I've been on this trail and just about every one in this part of the park. This is a really great trail if you like a little bit of every thing the scenery is great. It does have some steep hills and the rocks can get slippery so just be careful and watch your step.I tend to like to explore and go off the if you haven't done this trail I suggest you try it.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

I completed this hike in January, which made some of the sections more challenging. There was a steep rocky incline that could be more dangerous when it is icy or muddy. I also had to cross the iced over river at one section, which I would not recommend.

Overall, the hike was really nice. It was not too crowded and was well marked. I would recommend printing out a map before you go. The parking lot to for the Hilton loop is located at 1101 Hilton Ave, Cantonsville, Md.

Happy Hiking!

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Great hike with plenty of opportunity for distance. Loved the bridges and the views of the river. Crossed over and hiked a good portion of the orange area as well. Beautiful, uncrowded (on a Friday) and clean.

Recommend you print the map from DNRs website, bring water and leave young kids at home.